28 Grady White Marlin - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm looking at a 1990 28 Grady White,Marlin w/ Twin 2001 250 Yamahas.Anybody have any experience or info with these boats. Thanks
joeyg7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2003, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Be very careful with 10+ year old gradys (esp. with o/b power). I would have the boat appraised because alot of those boat get cracks in the gelcoat at the transom. Water gets into the wood in the transom and the whole thing needs to be rebuilt. Another worry on old gradys is the fuel tank which are difficult to inspect and can have problems as they age.
quiknet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2003, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also check the decks for any soft spots and look to see if the rear deck over the fuel tank is removeable.

Got a buddy with a '91 Sailfish 25 I/O that's facing a saber-saw job this Spring to get his tank out.

Not the best way of putting a tank under deck, that's for sure. Easier for the factory, but leaves the later owner with a serious bill later.

10 year old boats are susceptable to various issues - those used Grady's generally go for some fairly serious jing - a professional survey could well save you some serious gelt later.

While not the identical boat you are looking at, look here for some general info on a very similar boat:

Grady Survey/review

The site was down for maintenance this morning, but should be back up later today.

rgds, Leprechaun
Old 01-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

my friend looked at one and the whole transom was rotted the transom cracked right where the outboards mount to the boat he passed it up because of the price and of the cost of repairs he ended up buying a 1974 wellcraft airslot this is probably one of the most seaworth boats i have ever been on handles unbelievable he is happy with the choice
Old 01-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Leprechaun

becareful reccomending a pascoe link,
you might be labled a "cult member" by others. lol
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2003, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Striker,
The same thing happened to my friends Grady 20' overnighter. After using it only 2 years he had to rebuild the entire transom. Big $$$$.
quiknet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2003, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Megs - I know, I know . . .

I've got my flak jacket on as I type.

That guy doesn't have ALL the answers, nobody does, but for good common sense, I fail to see that he's so far off on his direct observations and commentaries.

Look, he ripped my own boat a new a-hole, but the extent to which he was able to indentify and focus in on the problems inherant in that design and boil it down to a succinct frighteningly accurate essay, that was was just uncanny.

Of course he failed to mention that every single observed issue has a proper and easy solution, but then he might not have known about the owner's board and the solutions to those problems.

He does boat surveys, not internet searches.

I find him a triffle inclined to shell most everything that does not come off a Bert or Hatt assembly line, but then those boats DO tend to set the bar, so does that make him less than truthful?

I think not.

Strikerthree - I spent MANY years fishing off a '77 Wellcraft Airslot24 with twin Mercruiser 170's in her. It was my dear departed Uncle's rig and I miss them both like crazy.

To this day I regard that boat as the best riding and most stable 24' boat that I've ever had the pleasure of fishing off. Head sea, following sea, quartering sea, didn't matter, that hull just ate them all up. We used to wreck fish off her, with me manning the two 600' lines in barrels up on the bow and my Uncle at the helm - It was just a wonderful rig and though the continual required maintenance and repair of those two aluminum Merc time-bombs made a man out me, I STILL loved her dearly and we would not hesitate to go thru Jones with the warning pennants flying, passing many a big cruiser heading back the other way because "It was too rough out there."

Jeez, the fish we trolled and wreck-caught off her would about sink the boat I run now. On some days it was sooo bad that we used to bass-troll the beaches while walking around the cockpit on our knees. The boat appeared to care less about the conditions.

I hear that old Airslot is STILL fishing out East, somewhere in the Plum Gut area and I hope the father/son team that bought her are having as good success with her as we did. She was a wonderful boat that treated us well and if anybody on this board every gets the opportunity to buy one of these slightly strange-looking boats, do not hesitate. They are truly fishing machines. One test ride will be all it takes, I assure you.

rgds, Leprechaun
Old 01-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have to agree with you this boat is amazing and you dont see to many of them around my friends has a single outboard not an i/o but when it comes down to finding any type of used boat you just have to do your homework and read up and then go and look and inspect the whole boat from soup to nuts dont leave anything unturned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.