hydro slave steering vs hynautic - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

What is the better choice?What are the pros and cons of each?
hurdygurdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

OK let me add a little more info to you guys and why I ask this question..Ive bought a 35 Duffy and it has all Hydroslave steering and hauling gear.Ive gotten rid of the hauling gear and the many feet of hose.So now Im looking at a mess with all the other hoses for the steering.The steering runs off the engine to a vickers pump, there is this huge red tank bolted to the bulkhead for hydraulic oil.**** everywhere.It looks a mess.The setup seems bully and Ive thought about keeping it.Ill have to replace a helm and about 70-80 feet of hose and the fittings too.This will cost a small fortune and I figure I could install a seastar or hynautic helm for around the same price.What would you guys do?would you clean it up and use the hydro slave or just change it all out? I wish I could figure out how to post photos on this forum as they speak a thousand words.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

hope this works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1990.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

sweet Ive kinda got it heres a better pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2053.jpg (64.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I went through the same questions while rebuilding my 36 NB. The hydro slave steering is by for the best. I've had both in the same hull and like the hydro slave much better. I steer with 1 finger everywhere I go. I built a dummy wall in front of the tank and helm and all the other crap that ends up there. If I were home I would post a pic. The guys up at marine hydrolics (hydro slave) are great, they'll give u a discount on everything you buy because you already have the system. Also they'll rebuild any helm that you need done.
tunaorlater is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have had both in down east boats and I like both for different reasons. I love the Hynautic system for its simplicity and I like the hydro system for its ease of steering. I think the Hydro-Slave system is overkill for my needs and adds a bit of maintenance to the list. If you are going to use the boat recreationally and not turning the wheel constantly all day long I think the Hynautic system will be fine. It will need to be sized properly for the size of the rudder and extra support for the rudder post won't hurt either. It is nice not to have the tank, pump and cooler to worry about if the system is only for the steering.
If you are using the boat commercially just rebuild what you have since you are half way there.
oneblitzen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think I might just stick with the hydro slave helm.Ill try and clean everything up and see how it goes.Ive already been in touch with Marine Hydraulics and they gave me a quote of $480 first cost for a new helm.I think that was a pretty decent price.Check this photo of the ram and bracket.The previous owners had no pride when it came to their boat ,which was also their livelyhood.Ive loaded a few more photos for you guys.Photo 1 is how it looked when I first opened the hatch(real nice) 2nd photo is the steel bracket that the ram is bolted to.The bracket only had one lag bolt and it moved back and forth when you turned the wheel,The ram is really nice,all stainless.And the third is the boat....Ilove it! Shes going to be sweet when Im done.Check the ladder outside the boat(thats gone)and the mighty transduser that is actually a rudder has been removed too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1980.JPG (61.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2042.JPG (59.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2094.JPG (43.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1977.JPG (46.3 KB, 0 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.