NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Blackfishing with a paddle?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  farhanamuneer567 
#1 · (Edited)
I am new to kayaking but not fishing. I have fished the western sound from my boat for approximately 15 years but recently purchased a used kayak. I have zero experience on a kayak and Blackfishing is my favorite . Can I accomplish this type of fishing without a pedal kayak. I bought a used Ocean Prowler 15. Any and all advice would be welcomed.

Thank you

#2 ·
Happy to say that in Blackfishing there is no significant advantage to having a peddle kayak, as you just need to get to your spot and drop anchor. Check out my article on kayak togging in the Oct '16 issue of The Fisherman mag. It's available from their online archives. That should help get you started. Kayaking for tog is my favorite type of fishing. I'm sure you'll love it too

#3 ·
I can't see why not. Being on the North Shore as well, we begin our blackfishing in the fall shallow in water 10-18' within 300 yards of shore. Find the rocks and you'll find the blackfish.
Launching point will determine if you'd be better off with pedals then a paddle but no doubt it can be done. Check post from Damfisher here on NE, he bails them from a Kayak all fall.

EDIT: Damfisher, two minutes apart, like minds think alike

#5 ·
I'm sure many will disagree with me on this, but for most situations trying to catch blackfish from a yak without anchoring will put you at a great disadvantage. If there's any kind of wind or current you'll be spending half of your time trying to hold position over your structure. Sooooooo annoying! Once you locate a concentration of fish you want to stay on top of them. Even with a gps, if you catch a decent tog, by the time you fight and land it you will have drifted far off of the piece and may not be able to get precisely back on it again.

#6 ·
........almost forgot your second question. You'd best avoid strong current areas, but if you do fish them go at slack tide. In weak current areas the fish are harder to predict. Best advice is to go when you can and keep a log to identify the ideal conditions for the specific spots you like to fish. One more tip- an approaching cold front is a good thing. I'll have an article on blackfish behavior coming out later this year in The Fisherman which will explain more about this, and in better detail. Right now, get on google earth and start looking for areas to check out. Finding togs is a 365/day/year project!

#11 · (Edited)
Blackfishing, also known as tog fishing, is a popular form of saltwater fishing, typically done from boats or from shore using fishing rods and reels. The primary target is the blackfish (Tautog), which is known for its strong fight and delicious white flesh. While it's less common to blackfish with a paddle, it is possible, and some anglers do practice this method in specific situations. Here's how you can blackfish using a paddle:

Choose the Right Location: Look for areas where blackfish are known to congregate. This could be around rocky jetties, underwater structure, wrecks, or other places where they like to hide and feed.

Kayak or Canoe Selection: If you're using a paddle to blackfish, you'll need a kayak or canoe that provides stability and comfort for fishing. Look for models designed specifically for fishing, as they often come equipped with features like rod holders, storage compartments, and stable hull designs.

Tackle and Bait: Use appropriate tackle for blackfishing. This typically includes a medium to heavy fishing rod and reel, braided or monofilament line, and strong hooks. For bait, green crabs or Asian crabs are popular choices, although some anglers also use clams or other natural baits.

Anchoring or Drifting: When using a paddle, you'll either need to anchor your kayak or allow it to drift with the current. Anchoring can be more challenging with a paddle, so be prepared to adjust your position frequently to stay on top of the fishing grounds.

Casting and Retrieving: Cast your baited hook near underwater structure where blackfish are likely to be hiding. Let the bait settle on the bottom and keep your line taut. Blackfish are known for their cautious bites, so be attentive to subtle movements or nibbles on the line.

Paddle and Positioning: Use your paddle to position your kayak or canoe to cover different areas around the structure. Paddle quietly and avoid making sudden movements that could spook the fish.

Patience: Blackfishing can require patience because these fish are known to be slow and deliberate feeders. Be prepared to wait for the fish to take the bait before setting the hook.

Catch and Release: Check local regulations regarding size and bag limits for blackfish. If you catch a blackfish within legal limits and choose to keep it, ensure that you follow proper handling and cleaning techniques.

While blackfishing with a paddle board for sale is possible, it's essential to be mindful of your safety and comfort, especially in potentially challenging conditions. Be well-prepared with the right gear, and consider practicing this technique in areas where you're familiar with the water and currents. Additionally, always follow local fishing regulations and respect the environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.