Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing - View Single Post - Pheasant hunting on Long Island

View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hunt n' Fish
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequa1 View Post
This is by no means an insult or a criticism of this company, but I wondered how close to "real" hunting is this experience. (As in if one went on DEC property in Rocky Point and wandered around for the day and maybe seeing one bird.) What size is the property and if it is utilized for this purpose rather frequently how is the game retained on site ?

Hi Pequa,

I've been to the site before. It's a large farm field that was allowed to grow a heavy cover crop. You purchase the number of birds you want (pheasants or chukar). The birds are placed in the field on the day of the hunt, before the hunters arrive. The birds are given time to wake up and start to move about before the hunters and dog handlers move into the field to find them. (Not much different than hunting on the state lands on LI where they place the birds the night before on the weekends and one day during the week). There are also a bunch of birds that have escaped into the neighboring fields, from past hunts and tower shoots that sometimes parties get to shoot at more than have been placed on the day of the hunt. So the birds are being continually replenished to offer the most opportunity to the hunters on their given day.

Here's a recent hunt from their Facebook Page, with Carlee and her dog in action.

Pheasant Flush