NYS 4wd fishing permit and Montauk - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NYS 4wd fishing permit and Montauk

Hoping for some guidance here. It says I can access Napeague, Hither Hills, and Montauk Point. I can see on google maps the access point for Napeague. Do I enter Hither Hills via the state park entrance which is next to Napeague? As for Montauk Point, exactly which areas are you allowed to drive on the beach there and where do you access? Also does this permit give me access to the area just east of the inlet? Can I park at Camp Hero? I also have the Empire Pass. Thanks for any help.
goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nobody can provide any color on where exactly to access the 4x4 entrances for out in Montauk? These boards used to be a wealth of information, learned a lot on here over the years by asking questions and engaging with people. Not looking for spots, I'll find my own, just interested in knowing exactly where to enter the beach with my 4x4.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

You are actually lucky. If you asked about what tide to fish on the south side, you would have been mauled.
longcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
ag3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeats View Post
Nobody can provide any color on where exactly to access the 4x4 entrances for out in Montauk? These boards used to be a wealth of information, learned a lot on here over the years by asking questions and engaging with people. Not looking for spots, I'll find my own, just interested in knowing exactly where to enter the beach with my 4x4.
The surf crew thinks surf spots are a big secret.

You can enter on the north side of the lighthouse with the NYS permit.You will see signs that say something like "4wd permit required past this" It's just past the main parking lot of lighthouse. From here you can hit the 2 main north side spots, false bar and North bar as well as other spots closer to the lighthouse.

Camp Hero you need a separate permit but you can just use turtle cove entrance (right before the Camp Hero entrance) and walk to the south side spots. From here you can hit turtle cove, sewer pipe and many other spots on the south side. Depending on how much you can walk.

There are also other access points for the south side but those require East Hampton permit.

Good Luck.

Last edited by ag3; 06-13-2017 at 02:38 PM.
ag3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

AG3, thank you very much for that information. I can see it now on the map. Looking forward to our trip out east. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Spent Friday late afternoon out in Montauk into Saturday. Fished late afternoon on northside with a bunch of blues and one small bass to show for efforts. Set up for the night on Hither Hills, fished with bait until about midnight with nothing to show and then caught a few hours z's. Went back to northside before sun was set to rise and bounced around alittle but nothing doing. Hit turtle cove but nothing doing there either with everyone else saying the same thing. Still great to be fishing in such an iconic place.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

It is a unique place. Too bad it's getting bought up by the city folk.
RichTrox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.