Anybody want to talk about fishing? A place for surf tips.. - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

for what it's worth. enjoy [img]thumb.gif[/img]

This post edited by likeitreallyis 08:41 PM 07/31/2011
likeitreallyis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'll jump in.

I have found that two or three days after the full or new moon to be the best for me. (over the years and if it is overcast for the full moon)

I have caught more quality bass on bucktails then any other lure. (I do not fish bait, so take that into account)

Eels ( they are not bait, they are live plugs) are very good for large.

KEEP A LOG!!!

Teasers work. They are almost an essential in the "dog days"

Speaking of bucktails; White is good. Black is good at night! Chartreuse is good. The hooks on Spro's are not good. Pork rind is good, curly tails are good, Bass Assassin Eel Assassins are good.

Tsunami shads are WAY better then Storms.

Bombers should be in everyones bag.

More specific? send me a PM

Tight lines

ED

likeitreallyis - Good thread good idea!!
Ed The Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

This post edited by likeitreallyis 08:42 PM 07/31/2011
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Never go surfcasting without a bunker snag and big hooks. I recommend large circles (Mustad Demon's 10/0-black) to a 20" heavy leader (80, 100lb. clear Ande) with a swivel (SPRO 130lb.). Snell the hooks. When you snag a bunker impale it behind the dorsal fin with the hook, unsnap your bunker snag from the main pluggin' leader and snap on the hook and bunker. Swim it around. If theres fish and you do not get a bite in short order reel it in and cut or rip off the top half of its tail. Swim it again.
Requiembmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like bucktails in fast moving water inlets, around bridges etc. Work them slow and low. Cast upcurrent and keep the slack out of your line.

On the open beach look for structure. Don't know what structure is? if daytime look for surfers. Go to either side of the waves they ride. I you catch one release quickly as they tend to spoil quickly.
Try working tins and plugs around the cuts on the side of the bar. If the wind is at your face and you can't cast its good. Try something that cuts wind lead or a plug like a darter will cut and dig into the chop.

I read alot of match the hatch advise which is great but what if your out at night or its blowin 25 and you can't find anything to match? My goto if i'm working an area cold or haven't been trackin bait is a white bucktail red rind. Fish go for it regardless of what they feeding on except maybe rain bait. Even if you don't hook up you will probably get a strike or two and you should be able to adjust your presentation accordingly.

As far as bait is concerned when I used to chunk I would use a 7/0 or larger on a 3' 50lb leader w/fish finder rig. Don't put your rod down or you will miss quite a few pick ups. Sometimes the resistance of the clicker alone is enough to disuade them. Hold it in free spool and let them take a nice run before your cross their eyes. I wouldn't bother with anything frozen. If you can't buy fresh, try getting porgies from the fish store or clam up a sea robin or a blue fish. Any of those chunks work well as long as they are fresh. I've caught bass on all of them. I don't care for tossing clams as I can never keep them on the hook. (I actually get a kick out of watching guys tryin to cast clams).

Try to find bait and track it to areas bass would hold. Moving water w/deep holes man made structures inlets,rocky areas. That is the best part to me is finding the bait in an area w/fast deep water. I the winter when I can't sleep I drive around and scout new locations for access and structure. I make notes in my hagstrom about the areas and write cheat sheets w/ quick directions. I carry a 6' spinner to probe depth and structure.

If all else fails,

try a storm shad. they will work even in the Koi ponds and the Japanase restaurants(Excellent winter fishing by the way-I'm banned from Petco)
blasko is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Blasko

Great stuff there [img]thumb.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

FOR ME ITS ALL ABOUT WIND DIRECTION, EVERY TIME I CATCH A FISH I ALWAYS LOG THE WIND DIRECTION FOR THAT SPOT
bill123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 05:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys, this thread is more informative than the last 3 years worth of reports. Keep em'coming!!!
robb2140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Few more thoughts.

SS Darters are the best out of the package darter on the market.

Yo-Zuri Mag darters: Change the tail hook to a dressed Siwash and catch way more fish.

I am now convinced that Smelly Jelly does indeed work.

Fan cast when ever you can. When fishing a spot that has any kind of sweep, make sure to vary the distance of your casts. (you want your plug to sweep over different spots in the rip/structure.)

One of the people that taught me way back when said: "Your more likely to cast too far then not far enough." Over the years I've found that to be true more often then not, especially at night.

Tight Lines
Ed The Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

If you intend to plug fish over schoolie size switch all hooks to VMC 4x.
Requiembmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.