Anybody want to talk about fishing? A place for surf tips.. - Page 3 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default size matters

Vary the size of your lures. I don't know how many guy's I fish with who catch nothing because they don't scale down. If the bite is fickle try downsizing.
This is for all the teaser guys (myself included) lose those teasers in dense bluefish. Especially in the fall, I have countless moments etched in my mind of big blue fish taking teaser and my mainline in one big bite!!!!
winter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default Nice going BOB!!!

I like it really I is

People actually getting along and sharing for the benifit of all

Now this is what I've been dying to see on this site.

Capt.Pablo
stpaul7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

A great way to carry your plugs, keep the caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0003.JPG (53.3 KB, 7 views)
likeitreallyis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

WOW slow down there your first line about big bass not likeing the sunlight.I could'ent read all the comments after reading that before I comment.
Do you read the fishing mag LI fisherman? I do. Almost every year a big fish is pulled on our south shore beaches by someone with the family havining a good time who just happens to be fishing also. Granted this is rare but it happens all the time. Not the most productive but it does happen and if that is the only time work and family premit it then by all means put on some whloe squide and crack open a cold one and get some sun.
Hint keep an eye on the pole and a loose drag. or better yet use a live linner spinning reel.
wahoolust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default GSB Spring Run

Thanks for starting this thread Bob - some great info has been shared! Someone PM'd me to ask if I could share in this thread the approach I used to catch bass this spring. Here it goes:

This spring I did the majority of my fishing from 4:00am - 8:00am. I also got out a number of times at night. If you want to get in on the tremendous bass fishing that awaits you in the spring you have to fish the night or early morning tides. Fishing around dawn and dusk can provide some excellent results. In order to catch bass you have to put yourself in a setting that will give you the best shot at catching them. Night and early morning fishing will do just that! I became a huge fan of night and early morning surf fishing when me and a friend went out and caught over 50 bass with at least 20 of them being keepers. Can you catch bass during the day from the surf? Yes, and if you can only fish for bass during the day I would use bait. During the spring most action on artificial lures will result in blues - which I must confess can be quite entertaining!!! If you can only fish on an open beach during the day put on some clam, bunker or squid and give it a shot - some big fish seem to always be taken that way each spring. Since I'm talking about targeting bass, let's get back to that. Did certain tides produce more than others? I liked the first two hours of the ebb tide and the last two hours of the flood tide. I'm cautious in saying that because I also found myself doing well at other stages of the tide as well. Bottom line - if bait is present - very likely the bass are around! This is where a fishing log can be very helpful and I highly recommend you maintain one if you're serious about catching fish. Whether I was fishing at night or early in the morning I always came armed with the following lures: bucktails and pork rind, bombers, darters, poppers, swimmers, rubber shads, bass assassins, and tin. When it was dark I would always start off with a bomber. Quick tip on retrieving a bomber - when you think you're retrieving it slow enough - go slower! After that I would try a darter, swimmer, or bucktail with pork rind. Many times people say to use a dark bucktail at night and in no way do I dispute that, but this spring I caught more bass with a white bucktail and red/white pork rind than anything else. While fishing in the morning as soon as the dark sky gave way to light I would swich to poppers. My poppers caught more fish than anything else this spring. Yellow, blue, and red head poppers worked great!! At times I was getting nailed at the end of my cast on my first crank of the reel and many times the bass waited until the very end and hit me only two feet away. Lesson - Be ready for a strike as soon as your plug hits the water and keep your lures in the water all the way to the end and be ready. Decent size bass will wait to the very end. Remember to always spread out your casts in all kinds of directions. If you're up against the shore or a sod bank cast anywhere from 3:00 to 9:00. Vary the speeds of your retrieves until you find out what best triggers them to strike. I also have found some good results while making casts on my way to and from certain spots I fish. Just when you think certain areas may be too shallow or not productive you may be plesantly surprised. When baitfish are present bass will chase them into all kinds of areas. I recently had the chance to fish with RichTrox and he definitely turned me on to casting eels weightless!! This will certainly be a method I'll use more often in the future!

That's all for now!

This post edited by walleyeman 02:19 PM 06/20/2007
walleyeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

wahoolust wrote:
WOW slow down there your first line about big bass not likeing the sunlight.I could'ent read all the comments after reading that before I comment.
Do you read the fishing mag LI fisherman? I do. Almost every year a big fish is pulled on our south shore beaches by someone with the family havining a good time who just happens to be fishing also. Granted this is rare but it happens all the time. Not the most productive but it does happen and if that is the only time work and family premit it then by all means put on some whloe squide and crack open a cold one and get some sun.
Hint keep an eye on the pole and a loose drag. or better yet use a live linner spinning reel.

Didn't say you CAN'T catch big bass in the day just that your odds are better at bigger bass at night/early am darkness.. this is from personal experience, not books... I'm talking 25 lbs and up... most LARGE I've seen have been in the dark... you can catch smaller bass all day long, yes.. October and on you can have some great day action on the LARGE yes.. I'm not talking schoolies and minimal keepers here..

Kevin and others good stuff up there thanks for sharing. [img]thumb.gif[/img]
likeitreallyis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Also dont listen to people who say you cant .
Like you cant or wont catch fluke at night . I have had such a consistant fluke bite at night . These fish are so aggresive on the night feed .Also think like a fish , what would a fish do . Bass love structure , drop-offs and i found out they love the drains . If you connect the dots putting all these together you should have great success. Oh i almost forgot lights are super important because they will bring the bait right up . Thats why bridges peirs and others produce quality fish at night .

I also recomend for anyone looking for great tips i highly reconmend Striper Surf by Frank Daignault...
TheMissingLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

wahoolust wrote:
Pput on some whloe squide and crack open a cold one and get some sun.
Sounds like the fifty combo to me [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Requiembmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

a Old Chinese Guy once told me, don't think like the Fish, Think like Bait...

Find the Bait, you find the fish...

This post edited by stpaul7 10:42 AM 06/30/2007
stpaul7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default tides

I was fishing an east end inlet on the outgoing last weekend and it was all bluefish until the tide started to slow. Then it was bass just for the last half hour until the flow was slack. This seems to be a trend for me. The half hour of slow but moving water on both sides of both tides seems to be bass friendly. Also 5" storm shad, pearl color are deadly. I like starting with these. If there are blues around (which is usually), forget it.
broasterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.