Anybody want to talk about fishing? A place for surf tips.. - Page 2 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

put your time in scouting the areas you want to fish during the daylight hours at low tide. this way u can read the structure you will be fishing much easier. trust me its much easier than reading a new area at night. after a while you will know how to fish your favorite areas with your eyes closed. also go during different weather conditions and see how your structure reacts to all of the different currents and winds. before u even step foot in the water do some search casting first. the fish may be holding right at your feet even with no visible surface activity. step in on them and you will have your work cut out for you to try and catch them. all too often there are fish between the first trough and your feet. i search with a pt jude tin butterfish at times to cover some water and or a bucktail. if nothing bites i switch to a surface swimmer such as a jnski peanut tuned to swim between 1-3' deep. pencil poppers are great to search with as well. on the calm days in shall water you can't beat a nice quality custom popper. you can't beat teh feeling of catching a cow on the surface. matching the hatch has already been mentioned which is great but more importantly use colors on your lures that work in the water clarity and lighting conditions you are in. chartreuse is one amazing color that is a great all around color. extremely easy for them to see in all conditions. for one example an area i was fishing on the open beach last year was full of herring. so i was throwing herring colored plugs to no avail. there were some bait and waiters there as well catching schoolies here and there. i switched to a parrot colored peanut swimmer and bam almost every cast for atleast 1 hour or so fish on. switched back to herring in the middle to catch nothing. when the tough gets tough teasers are infact a great way to go. i tend to use red gills or eddystones.

no barrel swivels. tie directly with an alberto knot. the only thing a swivel is good for in my book is picking up more weed and grass.

darters in the rips are like candy during the day but i highly prefer a bucktail in the rips at night.
tiderunner70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

with all of the bunker in the areas these days you must have atleast 1 or 2 beachmaster atom jr's in your arsenal. they work great in all conditions. and are highly proven landing cows. just work them fast enough to feel the action in your rod tip. don't forget a nice leader incase those toothy critters are around. it always hurts losing a quality plug.
tiderunner70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

For all you pro report guys here's something you can do w/ yesterdays info or even last week. Lets say you chunk field 6 and your read last week's surf report that someone weighed in a 20 or 30 from that area. Look back at when they did it. It was tuesday night you say? Okay what happen weather wise was is raining? blowing SW? Meteor shower? Lunar eclipse? what was the moon phase? Put together these details and then figure the tide. was high at 1130p? so you can figure working 2 hrs either side of that maybe. Try to add up the info for your own applications and if you get skunked then try to deduce why. Was the water brown/weedy? were you of the structure? Its fun putting it all together-especially when it produces. Almost makes me want to chunk.
blasko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

robb2140 wrote:
Thanks guys, this thread is more informative than the last 3 years worth of reports. Keep em'coming!!!
This is what this site should be about! I put up a couple of tips, as did Blasko, tiderunner, likeitreallyis, etc. COME ON GUYS lets add some info to the most relevent post to come along in a while!!

This post edited by Ed The Red 09:56 AM 06/17/2007
Ed The Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

There is alot of great info here maybe it should be broken down into categories under sticky threads like:
Bucktailing
Pluging
Chunking/bait
Beach reading

Just a thought. it would make quick reference alot faster.

also a 4x4/beach driving section

This post edited by blasko 11:03 AM 06/17/2007
blasko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

kinda a tip/question. When I'm walkin down the beach say at sunset(still very light out) I'll throw a pencil popper to try and locate the fish, 9 times outta 10, if I'm just fishing a spot blind(say I'm working my way to an area I knoew produces, or has structure) I get more hits on one of those cheap cotton cordell poppers than a nice gibbs. I can't help but feel it's from that rattle, and the thing making so much freakin noise it just draws anything nearby to it.

So my question would be, do any of you guys add rattles to any of your plugs? I would imagine adding one to either the head or tail(not midsection) of a darter would make a lot of commotion in ocean.
aweiss4428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Open Beach 1st light 4:45AM which pencil popper??
I like yellow or white/red
My question is size....let's say calm water slight breeze
go small 1~ 1.5oz or throw bigger(2oz) for large??
curlyrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Most Important

You can get caught up switching lures and colors while most important would be the action of the lure and covering ground. if You find nice structure see bait ......The Bass my be at your feet. Try and alter your retrieve .....It's easy to get caught up and retrieve to fast. Count out your retrieve ....Even out loud! scares other fisherman away from you.......Maybe they think you're counting down till the mental breakdown . Slow down and cover ground. get the lure to do what it was designed intended to do! That is Swim like a fish. Fan cast the area and alter the retrieves. Pop jiggle pull.... mix it up till the Fish let you know what is convincing. I perfer a in line swivel to pervent line twist. Cast as far as you can sometimes the lure will work it's best at extented cast due to the angle of the line. or give the Fish time to hone in on the sound. finicky Bass may want the reassurance of following the Lure ...and become enticed to strike at the last moment ... I start my Kids with Swimmers and Darter and let the Lure do the catching...... while they Build the skills.
rememeber slow down don't get caught in the moment.....I have seen Guys not catch a fish during a blitz because they became to excited and begin reeling to fast. And use a teaser before your lure....it's a killer and doubles your chances !

This post edited by BigShow 01:11 PM 06/17/2007
BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Always be willing to try new methodss. Don't get stuck just using the same lure all the time just because you had success with it at some point. Sometimes what worked yesterday doesn't work today.
kcee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Learn the environment in which you fish. The lay of the land, in the water. Learn what these mini-environments do and hold, during the yearly cycle. To catch your prey, you must understand where it lives, understand why it's at a spot, at a certain time of day, week or year.
LeoDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.