Shinnecock Canal locks - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2003, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've got a couple of questions about the locks at the Shinnecock canal.

I understand that the closing time is figured out by the formula of high tide at Sandy Hook NJ minus 3 1/2 hours. Why is that?

Everytime I fished there this week I keep on wondering why there is only 1 set of locks. I thought that the reason for a lock system is so that a boat can go or come from one body of water to another that is at a different height by raising or lowering the height of the water in the lock. But Shinnecock doesn't use this method as there is no way to raise or lower the water level. They just close the locks at high tide, and even opens up one set to let boats move through the canal.
What am I missing?

I'm planning on fishing the canal Friday even if it's raining, and I quite sure it will be. I figured that the locks will close at 11:26 am. So I'm planning on getting there to fish the last of the incoming at 10 am.
Tracker99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2003, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Glad to see someone else asked the same question I have. Sorry for the lack of response but I'm puzzled as well and too embarassed to ask any of my numerous maritime industry friends who would know in an instant without ever having been there. (My guess is it has something to do with the flow of water in and around all those boatyards and marinas at the southern entrance)

Anyway, I'm actually even more interested in which segment of the canal to fish. I've been exploring the
Shinnecock/Ponquogue area for the last week or so since the fishing in my neck of the woods (Shoreham/Wading River)sucks. Tried the canal a few times near the parking area but with no luck (hoping to encounter a stray weakfish) nor did I see any of the other countless anglers catch anything other than flounder of about 10 3/4", or weed.

So my question, in addition to Tracker 99's is where is the best place along the canal to fish?
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default shinnecock canal lock

the lock at shinnecock is on the east side of the canal and it is operated with two gates one to let boats in and then it closes and then the lock is filled with water to bring it up to the shinnecock bay level and at that point the other gate opens and lets the boats out the other side. the tidal gates remain shut the entire time this is happening. so there are four tidal gates and two lock gates. to find out when they are closed call the gatehouse @ 1631-852-8299. tight lines dennis
DENNISTHEFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

3.5 hours before sandy hook they open 2.5 hours later.

Depending on the type of fish you are looking for, there are different parts and times to fish, Bass for example like the gates open and the current ripping, flounder/fluke like them closed, weaks like the first 15 minutes of closing and they seem to wait for them to open 6 hours later..

the flounder fishing is waaay off from the good old days.

Black sea bass are in there but they are small. Best action will be on Fluke in a few weeks. Gates closed.

For flounder I like the peconic side better than where most everyone else fishes in the lot/gate are, loads of snags over there , Peconic side is better to work the bottom but it has been really slow past few years.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bump for flounder season.

A-Team Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.
crabman1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

..I hit it yesterdays close with about 20 others opening day for zero.

Made me a canal clock [img]thumb.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2038.jpg (142.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

likeitreallyis wrote:
..I hit it yesterdays close with about 20 others opening day for zero.

Made me a canal clock [img]thumb.gif[/img]
At least you tried
A new clock Bob? I thought you had one already.
reelfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

For the past year there has been construction repairs ongoing the LIRR bridge which has cut off access to the southwest side of the canal. This area in my opinion and experience has been the most productive area for fishing for fluke, stripers, weakfish and always those pesky blues. Not saying that other parts of the canal are not productive but my favorite section has been cut off. I would like to hear your opinions and any info you have as to when the construction project may end. Thanks, Vic. PS. My apologies, I did not intend to hijack this post. In answer to the above question. For fluke I fish just as the locks close. Bass and weakfish, just before and after closing or just before and after opening. Here is a tip for my penance for hijacking: Float a whole blood or sand worm, no sinker or weight, cast into the canal just before the locks close, the current should be moderate, and walk your bait along the bank of the canal along with the current. No hit, walk back and repeat. Deadly. Tight lines, Vic.

This post edited by DeadlyVic 10:46 PM 04/05/2013
DeadlyVic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

The project is scheduled to be completed in August 2013.

mta.info/capitaldashboard

A-Team Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.
crabman1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

DeadlyVic wrote:
For the past year there has been construction repairs ongoing the LIRR bridge which has cut off access to the southwest side of the canal. This area in my opinion and experience has been the most productive area...

Agreed [img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img]

Right at the bend where the eddy forms
falsealbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.