Surf Fishing Sandy Hook - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My friends and I are soon planning to go surf fishing on Sandy Hook, NJ. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can tell me what kinds of fish can be expected to catch. We're still not sure where to go exactly so I was hoping if some spots can be recommended.

Thanks,
tseki5
tseki5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

You will get into some garbage fish thats for sure....sea robins, skates and maybe a cownose ray which just showed up there. An occasional bluefish. At night from 5-9pm is the best time to fish, you might getinto some bass at this time. Use bunker chunks or if you wanna fish plugs fish a plug thats 3oz and can resemble a bunker.
When you get to the hook take hartshorne dr all the way to the end, park in the coast guard station lot and look for the walking trails through the wooded area. The trails are a 1 - 1 1/2 mile walk to the tip for the best fishing. Fish the rips there. Or you can just go to the bay side and try your luck there.
Slick56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

You need a permit to be out there at night. Ranger station in middle of the road as you head north on the hook sells them 24 hrs. for $50 if I recall. Have to put sticker on front bumper and park tail in so they can see it if they're patroling.

Re: other post...I've heard the northern most tip is good. Someone also explained a point slightly down from there was good. Saw map indicating shipping channel comes close to shore here. Perhaps this acts as a highway for them.

There's also a designated fishing beach you can park really close to the water at. Never tried it.
MaxKatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oooops yep the most important peice of info i missed. Ya need that permit. That point slightly down is falso hook, good bass spot. Also spermaceti cove on the western side of the hook (bayside) is a great spot too. Not spot burning, these are WELL KNOWN fishing spots by all NJ surfcasters. No big secret being given out here FYI.
My suggestion is to fish the northern most part of the hook, cahnnel dropoff is a meer 40ft-50ft cast. Your gonna need some lead to hold bottom there too. good luck[img]thumb.gif[/img]
Slick56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

The hook is great. There are some DEEP troughs very close to shore right off the northern tip. Fish a tin, buctail or rubber shad low and slow.
kcee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.