Pheasant hunting on Long Island - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pheasant hunting on Long Island

On Thursday 1-5-17, Myself and my 2 boys had the pleasure of doing a Pheasant hunt with Steve from Elite Outfitters on Long Island. We had an absolute blast and I can't say enough good things about his operation.
Our guide and handler, Carly was top notch as was her dog Parker.

If your interested in getting in on some upland bird hunting close to home on Long Island, I would highly recommend Steve and Elite outfitters.
bridgefisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Thumbs up

Nice! Glad you had a good time with them. Carlee's dogs are pretty cool to watch work.

Steve is a member here, Bruno1, and a sponsor.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is by no means an insult or a criticism of this company, but I wondered how close to "real" hunting is this experience. (As in if one went on DEC property in Rocky Point and wandered around for the day and maybe seeing one bird.) What size is the property and if it is utilized for this purpose rather frequently how is the game retained on site ?
pequa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgefisher View Post
On Thursday 1-5-17, Myself and my 2 boys had the pleasure of doing a Pheasant hunt with Steve from Elite Outfitters on Long Island. We had an absolute blast and I can't say enough good things about his operation.
Our guide and handler, Carly was top notch as was her dog Parker.

If your interested in getting in on some upland bird hunting close to home on Long Island, I would highly recommend Steve and Elite outfitters.
Glad you had a good time. Watching Carlee run her dogs is my favorite part of the trip. Nothing better than good dog work and having fun with family and friends whether your on state land or a canned hunt. It's what you make out of the experience. 👍
Bruno1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequa1 View Post
This is by no means an insult or a criticism of this company, but I wondered how close to "real" hunting is this experience. (As in if one went on DEC property in Rocky Point and wandered around for the day and maybe seeing one bird.) What size is the property and if it is utilized for this purpose rather frequently how is the game retained on site ?

Hi Pequa,

I've been to the site before. It's a large farm field that was allowed to grow a heavy cover crop. You purchase the number of birds you want (pheasants or chukar). The birds are placed in the field on the day of the hunt, before the hunters arrive. The birds are given time to wake up and start to move about before the hunters and dog handlers move into the field to find them. (Not much different than hunting on the state lands on LI where they place the birds the night before on the weekends and one day during the week). There are also a bunch of birds that have escaped into the neighboring fields, from past hunts and tower shoots that sometimes parties get to shoot at more than have been placed on the day of the hunt. So the birds are being continually replenished to offer the most opportunity to the hunters on their given day.

Here's a recent hunt from their Facebook Page, with Carlee and her dog in action.

Pheasant Flush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.