Huntin' Dogs!!! - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

I love em! It's awesome to hunt over a trained hunting dog. I've found hunting with a dog, that knows his job and performs it well, adds a tremendous amount to any hunting trip. From labs in the duck boat to pointers in the field. And there is a tremendous amount of pride when that dog, trained by the owner, performs his tasks correctly and brings that bird to hand.

My buddy Matty is always making fun of me, and other guys, that like to talk about their dogs, take pics, and post them. But I don't care, and wouldn't expect him to understand not having ever trained a dog himself. One of the big reasons I enjoy duck hunting as much as I do, is because of hunting with my dog. Hunting isn't just about having a big pile of dead things at the end, it's about how you got to that point, and my dog is a big part of that to me.

Right now, I've got a 9-year old, 100+ lb, yellow lab, Kody. Probably only got another year or two left in him of hard-core hunting but I imagine he'll go for a couple more after that when it's not too cold out. One of my buddies just purchased a wire haired griffon from a breeder in NJ and they also raise german short hairs and vizslas. I've been looking at getting a GSP pup or maybe having the vizsla (already hunt trained) placed with me. I'm torn because having a dog to hunt upland birds with this season would be great and I've wanted a vizsla for a long time, but getting a pup and training it myself is also where I find a large part of the reward in hunting with a dog. My biggest problem is getting my landlord to agree to having all these dogs. Kody, Marley (Gina's chihuahua), and now a new pointer pup, and of course, a new lab in the near future [img]surprise2.gif[/img]. It's gonna be a packed house.

Any of you guys out there got any pics to share of your dogs in action? Here's some of Kody.

Chris
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default GREAT PICS

Nice pictures. beautifull yellow lab. I have my hands full at home with a 14 week old yellow lab pup. I purchased mine from a breeder in Sag harbor. Field champ backround, nice healthy pups. hope to train her for field work , but I Have to work on the basics first. well thanks for the great pics and good luck on the water and in the field. DWF
danceswithfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Trophy Tackle 434 Rutgers Road West Babylon 631-274-7042

Chris - Great thread. I dont hunt but love to watch working dogs in action. I have seen Kody's discipline around you and it is great to see.
Far from an expert but dont buy one trained. I think the connection and the satisfaction of you doing it makes all of the difference in the world.

I have included for everyones entertainment a picture of my Bull Terrier hunting for a cookie in my left hand after she jumped on the chair after I told her not to. She is the anti-discipline dog! But an excellent scrounge.

This post edited by JohnTFT 09:45 AM 10/05/2008
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.JPG (31.8 KB, 1 views)
631-274-7042
Trophy Tackle

John@tunafishtackle.com
JohnTFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

You should check with the town to see how many dogs they allow at 1 residence some only allow 3 other allow 4
Old 10-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have done my shair of hunting over dogs and have always found it to be some of the most enjoyable days spent in the field.Here are a few I found of my dad and I along with a pair of his french brittnies.
Have to look for more action shots my pictures are not organized the best.

These pictures are from a one of many pheasant and grouse trip to South Dakota a few years back.These 2 dogs are both gone now,I spent many productive years hunting over both of them.We will be heading out there again this Nov.2nd.

Pic 1 Termite and Tuco locked up on point on a pair of pheasants.

pic 2 Dad with the results of that point.

pic 3 This dog loved to roll in the mud,what a mess he would always make of himself.

Pic 4 myself and Tuco with one of the first birds I took over him.

pic 5 one of my favorite signs.Its a different way of life out west.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (58.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (38.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (42.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (49.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (44.9 KB, 1 views)
togilator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't hunt either but my dog does like to retrieve things from the poll or bay.
She likes to hunt alligators
She helps with the net too[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000900.JPG (27.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg L1000911.JPG (20.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg L1000880.JPG (61.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg L1000870.JPG (26.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg L1010001.JPG (22.9 KB, 2 views)
clementine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Clementine,

You too share the same Barber [img]surprise2.gif[/img][img]tongue.gif[/img]

R.I.P CAPT BOBBY PACELLI...............You will be missed MY FRIEND Fair winds and Following seas

canyonfvr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Sorry for the hijack

canyonfvr wrote:
Clementine,

That would make him a Clemendoodle or a Labratine.
ahiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

canyonfvr wrote:
Clementine,

yea that's what everyone tells me.
Clementine is the name of my old poodle.
clementine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Clementine,

Standard poodles were actually bred to be hunting dogs. In this month's Conservationist, there is article about unusual hunting breeds making a resurgence in the field and there was a piece on using standard poodles. If you want, I can give Neil a copy of the magazine for you. Let me know.

Togilator, Great pic of your dad with the birds and the dogs there.

John, Thanks. And as long as yours is making you happy, that's just fine too.

Danceswithfish, I've trained Kody, and a bunch of other dogs following the guidance of Richard Wolters in his book Water Dog. He's also written books called "Gun Dog" and "House Dog" for those that just want a well behaved pet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.