KONA - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default KONA

Finished up another winter in KONA a few weeks ago and better than average fishing this time around. Good blue marlin bite with plenty over 500, more like the summer! As usual there was a strong showing of short billed spearfish , this is one of the only places on earth where there is a good shot of connecting with one of these beautiful critters. Striped marlin were a little less abundant , but still put in an appearance to have multiple fish days. Bottom fishing remains an untapped resource. Check OUT our immaculate studio , VRBO # 321043.
bucktail is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hoping to get back out there one of these days. Maybe next winter.
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Worth the trip Mike, it was wild to see so many LARGE blues during the winter, there were a lot of 600+ tagged which is a nice development.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

What boat(s) out of Kona would you suggest?

I'm going there this summer and would like to book a charter. Preferably a split charter, 3/4 to full day.

What would they be looking to target at that time of year?
Koz54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz54 View Post
What boat(s) out of Kona would you suggest?

I'm going there this summer and would like to book a charter. Preferably a split charter, 3/4 to full day.

What would they be looking to target at that time of year?
That time of year it would be blue marlin, yellowfin tuna and mahi-mahi. All the guys I would have recommended have either moved or died. Bring a light spinning rod and as bunch of silver or gold metal lures in /16 and 1/8 ounce sized, there is some fun fishing off the beaches, but the lava eats lots of lures.

Last edited by MakoMike; 04-13-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Summer is prime time for LARGE marlin and ahi (yellowfin) , also good mahi mahi at times. A couple of boats I can personally recommend are the SILKY and the IHU NUI , they don't do split trips but run great operations! If you have your heart set on a split trip check out the CAMELOT. Book early as summer is busy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carol's 200lb blue.jpg (23.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
Summer is prime time for LARGE marlin and ahi (yellowfin) , also good mahi mahi at times. A couple of boats I can personally recommend are the SILKY and the IHU NUI , they don't do split trips but run great operations! If you have your heart set on a split trip check out the CAMELOT. Book early as summer is busy.
I've been doing my research and the CAMELOT was up on my list! I'd rather not do a split charter, but as of now I'm going solo. My wife might come, but she is not sure. Even if she does come she has never went offshore fishing before.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
Bring a light spinning rod and as bunch of silver or gold metal lures in /16 and 1/8 ounce sized, there is some fun fishing off the beaches, but the lava eats lots of lures.
Thanks Mike. A couple of months ago I read a post of yours from a while ago mentioning the surf fishing. I will bring my gear and metal lures. I recently bought a decent travel rod. I will use the metal lures, but I also will try GULP! I'll just bling it up a bit.

What can I hope to catch from shore? Any particular area, or just look for drop offs and structure? (lava)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
Is Freddy Rice still running the boat? I thought he had retired.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz54 View Post
Thanks Mike. A couple of months ago I read a post of yours from a while ago mentioning the surf fishing. I will bring my gear and metal lures. I recently bought a decent travel rod. I will use the metal lures, but I also will try GULP! I'll just bling it up a bit.

What can I hope to catch from shore? Any particular area, or just look for drop offs and structure? (lava)
All kinds of things. Papio ( baby trevally) like to hang out where fresh water enters the ocean.Goat fish, some kind of little grouper looking things, that are really pretty with bright purple spots, various other species that I don't know the names of, and my favorite, needlefish, they jump like a marlin during the fight.

Places - Honkahu harbor, you can fish off the rock at the south side of the harbor entrance. Annehumalu bay, there is public parking right next to the big hotels. Spencer beach park a little further north. There are lots of public beaches off Rte 19 north along the kohala coast. South of town there is a really nest beach park, whose name I can't remember, but its just south of saint Peter's church, which is probably the smallest, humblest church you'll ever see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.