Ulua (GT) fishing in Kauai, Hawaii - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

The original plan is to stay in Big Island for a week during Christmas Holidays on my family vacation.
But someone suggested me I should visit Kauai during my stay in Hawaii. I didn't hesitate to change my schedule to visit Kauai when I heard that I can catch big Ulua (giant trevally known as GT) from the shore there. My laziness paid off this time. For several months my family urged me to book a hotel or condo for a week in Big Island as it is not easy to find rooms during the busy Christmas Holidays. But I hesitated to book a hotel until I find reasonable places when I saw the alarming hotel rates there. As I didn't book any rooms in Big Island, I could freely serach for a condo in Kauai.
I finally found a nice condo on a cliff in Princeville resort for three days and I plan to cast my poppers for ulua every morning by walking down to the beach before my family wakes up.
I hope I can catch my first ulua on a popper.
Did any member catch ulua from the beach in Kauai before ?

-nice view from the condo where our family plan to stay. I will fish from the beach in the picture every morning.
-a Hawaiian angler holding a GT

This post edited by KILSONG 10:54 AM 12/05/2006
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kauai.jpg (46.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg kauai2.jpg (42.9 KB, 0 views)
KILSONG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Kil,
I've been ulua fishing on several of the islands, but, generally you don't fish off the beach, you fish off the cliffs! Off the beaches you can catch baby ulua, called papio, but the big boys hang out in the deeper water. Most guys fish off the cliffs, where the water gets deep not far from shore. I can tell you where to catch ulua on the big Island, if you want details PM me. I have caught lots of papio on Kauai, off the beach at Poipu, using small metal lures, like 1/16 or 1/8 ounce castmasters. Your best bet if you really want to catch ulua on any of the islands is to hire a guide.
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

GT fishing is extreme. From Princeville, you can snorkel off the beach and see a lot of fish. There is a river nearby, you can cast poppers for 10-15# GT, espesially after a rain. From any beach or the town pier, you can throw the equivalent of a snapper popper for papio, ie panfish sized GT's. On the way from the airport, you will see people fishing for panfish off the beach. There are charters that leave from Anini Beach, about 20 minutes from Princeville. South of the airport (45min-1hr from Princeville), people fish from shore/bridges.

No tackle stores, except by the airport.

Do you golf? Princeville is great for golf.

Good kayaking in the river.
s8master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

MakoMike wrote:
Kil,
I've been ulua fishing on several of the islands, but, generally you don't fish off the beach, you fish off the cliffs! Off the beaches you can catch baby ulua, called papio, but the big boys hang out in the deeper water. Most guys fish off the cliffs, where the water gets deep not far from shore. I can tell you where to catch ulua on the big Island, if you want details PM me. I have caught lots of papio on Kauai, off the beach at Poipu, using small metal lures, like 1/16 or 1/8 ounce castmasters. Your best bet if you really want to catch ulua on any of the islands is to hire a guide.
I'll explore the areas. I am sure there are many rocky cliffs with deeper waters nearby. A guy I know said he caught GT near a lighthouse with a guide. I am staying in Big Island for three days. If you know any good areas for GT there, let me know.
Hiring a guide is the best bet, but I have to decide when I get there as I am not sure I have enough time for GT fishing except early in the morning.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

s8master wrote:
GT fishing is extreme. From Princeville, you can snorkel off the beach and see a lot of fish. There is a river nearby, you can cast poppers for 10-15# GT, espesially after a rain. From any beach or the town pier, you can throw the equivalent of a snapper popper for papio, ie panfish sized GT's. On the way from the airport, you will see people fishing for panfish off the beach. There are charters that leave from Anini Beach, about 20 minutes from Princeville. South of the airport (45min-1hr from Princeville), people fish from shore/bridges.

No tackle stores, except by the airport.

Do you golf? Princeville is great for golf.

Good kayaking in the river.Thanks for information. Good to know that I can catch 10-15 lbs GT in a river nearby.
I don't think I charter a boat as most boats do only trolling and I don't think I have enough time for boat fishing as this trip is for my family vacation.
I don't think I need any tackle to buy there as all I need a rod,reel and poppers.

I noticed that there is a world class golf course in the resort and I'll play golf with my son while my wife and daughter enjoy spa there.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Kil,
You have a PM
Old 12-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, Mike.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

MakoMike wrote:
Kil,

Mike was that shipwreck beach right next to the Hyatt? I was there several years ago and caught some by borrowing a rod from one of the locals fishing there. It worked out well as it was my Honeymoon and I didn't have any equipment with me
reelfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

John,
I did fish a little bit there by the Hyatt, but the fishing was much better a little bit away, in front of the plantation, where there were a lot more rocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.