Shimano Curado 200 Power handle - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shimano Curado 200 Power handle

I purchased a used Shimano Curado 200 at the Ward Melville show a couple of weeks ago. I would like to put a power handle onto it. Issue is I don't seem to find an 'off the shelf' one.

Anyone know what other reel would be compatible so I can search that way?
Koz54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Koz - your problem is that the drive shaft of a small Curado is 7x4mm, while the Abu and Daiwa baitcasters take a larger 8x5mm handle hole. I will look into this for you - would you be interested in a big 105mm double knob handle, sort of like what the Abu NaCl offers? It would be 105mm from knob to knob, which is actually longer than the factory Abu and Daiwa "power handles." But it wouldn't be a single knob version. I use these on virtually all my baitcasters, btw. Here's my Curado 200D with that handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3.jpg (130.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
Koz - your problem is that the drive shaft of a small Curado is 7x4mm, while the Abu and Daiwa baitcasters take a larger 8x5mm handle hole. I will look into this for you - would you be interested in a big 105mm double knob handle, sort of like what the Abu NaCl offers? It would be 105mm from knob to knob, which is actually longer than the factory Abu and Daiwa "power handles." But it wouldn't be a single knob version. I use these on virtually all my baitcasters, btw. Here's my Curado 200D with that handle.

Thank you Lep. That looks very nice. I'd probably go with the larger paddle type handle if I continue to strike out. My issue is my gorilla paws fumble with those small factory paddle handles.

Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

See, that's the problem. A large paddle handle is not so easy to find with the 7x4mm shaft hole. In fact I can't thing of one that is currently available. There are single paddle handles available for the Curado 300 reels, but those use the larger Abu 8x5 shaft hole. I'll keep an eye out for you and if I see what you want, I'll post up here.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

So reflecting on this further, you could go with an older Shimano wood-knobbed power handle - that had the smaller hole. Or a select few of the newer Calcutta-B reels had the big rubber knob - in fact I think I have one of those home in my "Spare Junque" box that I probably could be talked out of.

Alternatively, I found an Ebay ad for the Basszone Carbon power handle with the smaller hole. this is the same handle that I put on my last Abu mini-togger build, exxcept that one had the larger Abu hole. It is very substantial and has a nice fat EVA knob. I highly recommend. . .

Look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BASSZONE-CAR...2Rwa3HLreUv5aw

Here's what it looks like mounted on an Abu round reel:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0893.jpg (167.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

You didn't mention specifically which generation of the Curado you purchased at Melville. if you do go with the Basszone handle, be sure that your curado has a "bent" star wheel. Otherwise that handle will not fit your reel.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You didn't mention specifically which generation of the Curado you purchased at Melville. if you do go with the Basszone handle, be sure that your curado has a "bent" star wheel. Otherwise that handle will not fit your reel.

Thanks so much Lep! I will check if the drag star wheel is 'bent' when I get home tonight.

I have the technology to make the hole bigger, but there are not many tools that make holes smaller. I don't see welding/grinding as an option in this application.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tru dat.

My old friend Benny at Semper-Fi Tackle in Singapore used to offer a tiny little machined stainless spacer/adapter sleeve that allowed the use of an Abu/Daiwa 8x5 handle on a Shimano that needs 7x4. He closed his website two seasons ago - but can be reached thru his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...perfi%20tackle.

He was always a great resource, but got bitter when his China handle sub-vendor decided to open their own webiste on AliExpress and sold direct for the same price they were selling to him. Ray's Studio/Weihai fishing tackle is their name, btw.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for all your help Lep.

This is more difficult that I originally thought!
My reel is the 200E7 and the star wheel drag is straight. That means I can't go with the Basszone power handle.

I am now very interested in the big 105mm double knob handle. I am sure my mitts will be able to work with that. It looks good on that reel to boot!

Since I don't 'do' facebook I can't contact Semper-Fi-Tackle. AliExpress is also a non option.

If I do a search what reel size model of the Abu NaCl would I be looking at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1685.jpg (241.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

So as it turns out, that you can't contact SF and AliExpress is moot - as both are out of the 105mm handles. This is gonna be an EBay hunt. The big single knob Shimano factory handles from the Calcutta series would look out of place on such a dainty reel. Let me look at some other options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.