Fluke 2017 - Page 6 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt n' Fish View Post
If we were to go to a slot size limit that was less than the 18 or 19" limits we have been using, the availability of "keeper" size fish would go way up, and we'd obliterate our quota in no time. Are you all willing to take a slot size for a season of say only 1 month?

Chris
FWIW, I've seen the numbers and almost all of the proposed slot limits would result on about a two month season under current quotas.
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt n' Fish View Post
The ever present comment about what anyone "needs" is really a selfish and self-centered one. . I'm not saying that it's wrong to feel that way. I believe it's okay, as long as you realize it. I have my own selfish interests I look out for as well. Please consider this:

Chris
Well, yes. I'm not writing the regs, nor am I representing anyone. I'm just saying that for my personal needs, I like to catch fish and I fish frequently (but not >once a week), so that I rarely put fish in the freezer. So for some of us, and clearly not others, I put a higher premium on how much I catch over how much I keep.

But point well taken. "Who needs to keep 4 fluke" should more properly have been phrased as "I don't need to keep 4 fluke."

On the other hand, what's the use of a high bag limit if you never reach it. I'd rather have everyone come away with a little, than come away empty, despite the possibility of a 4 fish limit. I've been on party boats full of sharpies, where few caught more than 2 keepers and often where hardly anyone catches a keeper and we switch to porgies or sea bass.
Matts is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
I've been on party boats full of sharpies, where few caught more than 2 keepers and often where hardly anyone catches a keeper and we switch to porgies or sea bass.

They don't sound like "sharpies" to me
GloucesterToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #54 (permalink)

Same as last year?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #55 (permalink)

Same season but up to 19" and down to 3 fish bag.
pequa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #56 (permalink)

Oh...

Thank you for the 411.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #57 (permalink)

It's official 3 #19

George1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #58 (permalink)

Default NJ Update

ASMFC Summer Flounder Management Board to Consider**
New Jersey Conservation Equivalency Proposal**
for 2017 Summer Flounder Recreational Fishery

Alexandria, VA – The Commission’s Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Management Board has accepted a request by the State of New Jersey to consider a proposal for conservationally‐equivalent management measures for the 2017 recreational summer flounder fishery . . . . http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/59...Compliance.pdf

My words: NJ DEP Commisioner Bob Martin (previously an advocate for Status Quo until better science is available) has caved to Fed pressure so as to not have NJ deemed out-of-compliance.

JCAA words (Jersey Coast Anglers Assoc): The next New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council meeting will be at 4 PM on Wednesday, 5/17 at the Avalon Community Center locate at 3001 Avalon Rd., Avalon, NJ 08202. The Council will either support or reject Commissioner Martin’s recommended 2017 fluke regulations at that time as that is the only action available to them to put a regulation in place at this meeting. The option that will be recommended by Commissioner Martin after lengthy negotiations with the National Marine Fisheries service is a 3 fish bag limit at 18 inch with a 104 day season that will begin on 5/25 and extend through 9/5. This option includes a 17 inch size limit for Delaware Bay and a 16 inch size limit for the shore based anglers at Island Beach State Park with the same seasons. These negotiations were entered into after the ASMFC voted for a 19 inch size limit with a 3 fish bag limit and a 128 day season that could have begun on 5/20 and ended on 9/24. The option included an 18 inch size limit for Delaware Bay and a 17 inch size limit for the shore based anglers at Island Beach State Park with the same seasons. The negotiations were initiated by the recreational fishing groups who went to Commissioner Martin and asked him to maintain the current 2016 regulations even though this would result in New Jersey going out of compliance. If we are declared out of compliance, not only do we shut down the recreational fishery but the commercial fishery would also be shut down.

Earlier this year, JCAA discussed and supported going out of compliance by maintaining the 2016 regulations. JCAA was represented in the conference calls with Commissioner Martin that kept us informed about the negotiations and we were encouraged to offer our input. The final negotiated compromise was not released until Tuesday, May 9. On May 10 this compromise was presented to ASMFC. The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council will vote on Wednesday. Given the quick timelines, JCAA does not have time for a formal meeting that would allow club representatives to poll their clubs. JCAA’s commitment to a democratic process will not allow us to change a position without that General Membership vote. Our initial position to stay status quo with the 2016 regulations and support going out of compliance is the only formal position of JCAA. JCAA is encouraging each club to poll their members, develop their own position and attend the meeting on Wednesday night to express it. Individuals are also encouraged to attend this meeting and voice their opinions.
hartattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #59 (permalink)

Default NJMFC SETS 2017 SUMMER FLOUNDER REGULATIONS

As anticipated, the NJMFC set the fluke regs at their meeting Wednesday afternoon. The season will begin on 5/25 and extend through 9/5 with a 3 fish bag limit at 18". Those fishing Delaware Bay will be allowed 3 fish at 17" while those fishing Island Beach will be allowed 2 fish at 16" with the same season.

This NJ proviso raises many questions:
- what if the ASMFC technical committee (meeting Monday 22-May) does not approve the NJ proposal?
- what happens to regional Fluke managment? - NY vs NJ again
- by allowing NJ regs < Addendum XXVIII, Option 5 ASMFC implies that their science is flawed - can this be a precedent for MSA revision ?

. . . stay tuned . . . . http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/59...NJproposal.pdf

Last edited by hartattack; 05-18-2017 at 07:31 AM.
hartattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartattack View Post
As anticipated, the NJMFC set the fluke regs at their meeting Wednesday afternoon. The season will begin on 5/25 and extend through 9/5 with a 3 fish bag limit at 18". Those fishing Delaware Bay will be allowed 3 fish at 17" while those fishing Island Beach will be allowed 2 fish at 16" with the same season.

This NJ proviso raises many questions:
- what if the ASMFC technical committee (meeting Monday 22-May) does not approve the NJ proposal?
- what happens to regional Fluke managment? - NY vs NJ again
- by allowing NJ regs < Addendum XXVIII, Option 5 ASMFC implies that their science is flawed - can this be a precedent for MSA revision ?

. . . stay tuned . . . . http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/59...NJproposal.pdf
Couple of small points:
The technical committee has already meant, and they have issued their report. As many suspected would happen they say the the NJ proposal is NOT the conservational equivalent of The addendum that was already approved by the MAFMC ans ASMFC. The phone call on Monday is for the commissioners to decide whether or not the NJ proposals are or are not the conservational equivalent of Amendament XXXX.

As far as regional management goes, NJ is still its own region, but they agreed, when they became a region, to be consistent with the CT-NY region. If the board votes to not accept the NJ proposal, then they will have to change their regs again or be found out-of-compliance.

Last one is a non-started, whomever wrote that sentence doesn't know squat about fishery managment.
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.