2014 NY Fluke and Seabass Regs - Page 6 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt n' Fish View Post
LOL, You, me, and everyone else agree with that. I was just pointing out that an RSA boat suggested an option for a longer regular season over a shorter season. You had indicated that RSA boats were pushing for seasons which allowed them more time to fish RSA, and that wasn't the case at yesterday's meeting.
The RSA boats weren't terribly upset with Fluke opening on the 17th though, were they? Just to clarify, I do not begrudge RSA in anyway. I'm an advocate for a fair/same start date for all, and use of the RSA permit when the regular season closes.
captjoekingcod is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #52 (permalink)
Administrator

I am no longer an advocate at all for RSA. I supported it at one time because I saw the need to the survival of the for-hire industry when we had truely terrible regs across the board (scup, seabass and fluke). I don't see it to be as necessary now that more of our fisheries have "improved." I feel it's inequity is now outweighing it's value to the industry as a tool for survival. I wouldn't advocate to have it taken away in case our regs went back in the crapper, but I would like to see some new restrictions put on its in the for-hire industry now myself.
Hunt n' Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth! Sounds more and more that nothing other then no bag limits , no size limits and a year round season is the only thing that will make you guys happy.
Just so we are clear Mike, I would have been happy WITH ONE LESS FISH. Your statement is completely out of line...
captjoekingcod is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Good bye.

TheSaraJ, there is no starting multiple ID's here, especially for this kind of nonsense.

Chris
Hunt n' Fish

Last edited by Hunt n' Fish; 03-19-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Removed author's original content
ProtectTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #55 (permalink)

The Greenlawns fishery and maybe the entire North Shore boats can target porgies if they want to get out, the rest of the South Shore can target ling on full days or flounder on half days. Call it Captains Choice. Far from ideal for the week of May 10-16, but there should be edible, catchable fish swimming in the sea. I think that I will see what a legal RSA fluke (is it 14"?) tastes like.
skatemaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt n' Fish View Post
..........As MakoMike explained, the rational is, that fishing pressure isn't affecting the fish stocks. So why not allow it?..........
I promised myself 14 years ago I would no longer be involved ......... because every time I got into discussions involving fisheries management my frustration level would send my bp thru the roof.

.... and it seems to still haunt me because here it is, after 3 am, and I'm replying to this thread.

First, my comments that follow are based on the assumption that the above quote is the consensus of our fisheries managers.

Logically, the above statement reinforces a strong belief I have held for more than 30 years. Recreational fishing (in its pure form) would never put a fish species in jeopardy. The need for bag limits and seasons for pure recreational fish are not only a waste of time but counter productive.

The problem arises when when "Joe rec" catches what he needs for himself and his freezer but continues to fill his cooler because he can barter the scup at the local chinese restaurant for some free dinners, or drop of a dozen stripers at the local steakhouse for a handful of cash. Now he is actually no longer a recreational fisherman and part of the real issues that management should focus on.

There should be no recreational bag limits or seasons ........ size limits, yes.

Think I am crazy at this point? Think about this. Blackfish never had any regulations on them. They were worth so little in the 70's that it wasn't worth it to bring them to market. It wasn't till their dollar value soared that their numbers dwindled. Ask willy what him and all his fellow "recreational surf fishing friends" did with all the striped bass they caught in the 60's and 70's? "Pure recreational fishing" would never have had an impact on striped bass populations. Sea bass ....... I remember being shown check receipts from fish that had been shipped for 450, 600, 875 in the 90's. They were caught "recreational fishing" during the winter in NJ on a party boat.

There should be no recreational bag limits or seasons ........ size limits, yes.

The fisheries managers/scientists are admitting this by their rationale regarding winter flounder.

Here we are now ......... fisheries management still believing they can control how nature works by imposing rules on an entity that really is not a threat to the very thing they are trying to protect.
capt13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #57 (permalink)
Administrator

Morning John,

Sorry to drag you back into the management area!

To respond to you, it was stated at the meeting that overfishing caused the problem. They showed survey results going back over 40 years in some cases, showing when the population spiked, and then have been on a consistent decline all through the NE. Lowest populations ever in most cases right now for states. And they blamed fishing (did not state if it was commercial or recreational) for the overharvest of the fish that caused the decline. Only now, that their populations have reached this extremely small level, that genetic diversity is suffering and fishing pressure has all but stopped, are they saying that fishing isn't having an impact. Instead the flounder appear to be suffering more from environmental factors such as poor water quality, loss of habitat and predation, rather than fishing pressure. There is speculation that the populations was overfished to the point where it cannot recover now.
Hunt n' Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt13 View Post

And they said I was overstating?
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt13 View Post
I promised myself 14 years ago I would no longer be involved ......... because every time I got into discussions involving fisheries management my frustration level would send my bp thru the roof.

.... and it seems to still haunt me because here it is, after 3 am, and I'm replying to this thread.

First, my comments that follow are based on the assumption that the above quote is the consensus of our fisheries managers.

Logically, the above statement reinforces a strong belief I have held for more than 30 years. Recreational fishing (in its pure form) would never put a fish species in jeopardy. The need for bag limits and seasons for pure recreational fish are not only a waste of time but counter productive.

The problem arises when when "Joe rec" catches what he needs for himself and his freezer but continues to fill his cooler because he can barter the scup at the local chinese restaurant for some free dinners, or drop of a dozen stripers at the local steakhouse for a handful of cash. Now he is actually no longer a recreational fisherman and part of the real issues that management should focus on.

Think I am crazy at this point? Think about this. Blackfish never had any regulations on them. They were worth so little in the 70's that it wasn't worth it to bring them to market. It wasn't till their dollar value soared that their numbers dwindled. Ask willy what him and all his fellow "recreational surf fishing friends" did with all the striped bass they caught in the 60's and 70's? "Pure recreational fishing" would never have had an impact on striped bass populations. Sea bass ....... I remember being shown check receipts from fish that had been shipped for 450, 600, 875 in the 90's. They were caught "recreational fishing" during the winter in NJ on a party boat.

The fisheries managers/scientists are admitting this by their rationale regarding winter flounder.

Here we are now ......... fisheries management still believing they can control how nature works by imposing rules on an entity that really is not a threat to the very thing they are trying to protect.
Not that many from the shore, but enough.
Willie
willyyoung is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #60 (permalink)

Default Fluke 2014

Bottom line, if we did not get regional management the 2014 Conservation Equivalency measures for NYS would have been, 19 inches, 4 fish, May 19-September 30. Regional Management gave us a better deal.
Rochart1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.