Cod fishing On a Party Boat - Page 2 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Whats up Movetheboat

You can use a 7/0 bait hooder . I like small hooks when I am cod fishing . I use a 3/0 hook , you hook a lot of fish and lose them as well . I use a soft rod so that, that hook would land in the corners of the cod mouth . You have to try what works for you , but I would use the bigger hook to set the hook on the cod . Good to hear from you Movetheboat . Brownboy [img]thumb.gif[/img]
Brownboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Sorry Movetheboat

You asked why not two hooks . It seems that the dogs love that top hook . If the hook is too hight it a dog fish magnet . Keep it near the sinker and you will have a productive cod fishing day . Brownboy .
Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I can certainly vouch for the "no high hook" theory, thats all the mates and the Captains, (the Captains say it right over the loudspeaker) have been telling all the fares every weekend on the MJ, to just use the one hook near the sinker, and you wont have a problem with the dogs, and its true, I can honestly say I havent seen more than one or two dogs come up on any of these past few weekends all day trips that I've been out working on the boat, they havent been a problem at all, so long as you "lose the high hook". [img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img]
Margrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Hello

Margroc were your fishing and were I am fishing are 2 different places . Off of block island the dog fish are so bad you will catch them on hooks with no bait . I wish we had that few of dog fish were we are . Tell Ryan and capt Tony Brown said hello . Brownboy [img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img]

This post edited by Brownboy 05:07 AM 02/05/2012
Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Brownboy wrote:
Margroc were your fishing and were I am fishing are 2 different places . Off of block island the dog fish are so bad you will catch them on hooks with no bait . I wish we had that few of dog fish were we are . Tell Ryan and capt Tony Brown said hello . Brownboy [img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img]

I certainly will say hello, heading there now, I think Capt. Tony is working again today. Maybe there arent as many dogfish where we go over by Jersey, wish I could say the same about the conga eels [img]tongue.gif[/img] But their still telling everyone to not use a high hook. [img]thumb.gif[/img]
Margrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Brownboy wrote:
You can use a 7/0 bait hooder . I like small hooks when I am cod fishing . I use a 3/0 hook , you hook a lot of fish and lose them as well . I use a soft rod so that, that hook would land in the corners of the cod mouth . You have to try what works for you , but I would use the bigger hook to set the hook on the cod . Good to hear from you Movetheboat . Brownboy [img]thumb.gif[/img]
Thanks again Brown.
I'm curious, you use a 3/0, use a soft rod & hook them in the corner. You then say you can use a 7/0 and set the hook on codfish. Are you using a 3/o so you also hook the ling & bergals? You talk about the soft rod and the corner of the mouth (vs 7/0 & set the hook) are the 3/0's circle hooks & that's why your not setting them?
I'm ready to tie some rigs based upon your one bottom hook rig. You said 6" from sinker, I'm guessing you mean 6" up from loop & then loop to loop a snelled hook? Is that correct?
Thanks again Brown.
JD
jjdbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

jjdbike wrote:
Brownboy wrote:
Thanks again Brown.
I'm curious, you use a 3/0, use a soft rod & hook them in the corner. You then say you can use a 7/0 and set the hook on codfish. Are you using a 3/o so you also hook the ling & bergals? You talk about the soft rod and the corner of the mouth (vs 7/0 & set the hook) are the 3/0's circle hooks & that's why your not setting them?
I'm ready to tie some rigs based upon your one bottom hook rig. You said 6" from sinker, I'm guessing you mean 6" up from loop & then loop to loop a snelled hook? Is that correct?
Thanks again Brown.
JD
ive been rigging a single 4/0 or 5/0 on a 12/14 inch leader off a three way swivel with a short piece of tube to help it stand out a bit. then a 8/10 inch drop to the lead. is been working out real well down this way in the mudhole
durleychine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Love this Video what Time is It ???
stpaul7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

JJdbike , I sent you a email . Durleychine you have the right idea but dont use the tub . Any colors will call on the dogs . A dropper loop 6 inches from the sinker is fine . Brownboy .,..
Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

I will be on the boat tomorrow and will be tying rigs tonight. So I am guessing that I should still stick with 1 hook 6" above sinker? I was planning on using 80lb for leader, 7/0 gami hooks, and taking an assortment of 6-16 oz sinkers and jigs. Also, do you think I should use the Hercules 6ft heavy or Okuma Cedros 250g rod?

This post edited by mitchman 03:13 PM 02/08/2012
mitchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.