Western Sound weather buoy? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Western Sound weather buoy?

I read that it got ripped from the mooring. Anybody know if/when it is going to be redeployed? I miss it already!
StuNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
ag3

Execution also offline.
Annoying.
ag3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you go to the western sound buoy website UCONN something or other. You can go to contact us. There's a lady, I forget her name but she'll get back to you about what happen to those buoys over the winter. They have pictures that they'll send you. The one by Execution had like a foot of ice formed on it. From what I understood they won't be up and functioning til about June.
JoeBfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Drove past the execution buoy this morning and it looked fine, but wouldn't be suprised if this winter kicked its ass.

I click on the site every day to see conditions, hoping to **** it will be up and running - what did we do befrore the internet??!!
SmittyMako17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I e-mailed U Conn took a while to find how but got a response right away.
.AOLWebSuite .AOLAttachedImage {max-width:275px; max-height:275px;} .AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default} .AOLWebSuiteM1 {margin: 10px 20px;} .AOLWebSuiteM2 {margin: 5px;} .AOLWebSuiteM3 {margin: 10px;} .dmItemSelected {padding: 2px !important;text-decoration: none !important;color:#fff !important;background-color: #656565 !important;border-radius: 2px;}
#AOLMsgPart_1.2_3ad901cf-f34b-4ebc-9846-40e2530d98e4 td{color: black;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} .aolReplacedBody p.MsoNormal,.aolReplacedBody li.MsoNormal,.aolReplacedBody div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;} .aolReplacedBody a:link,.aolReplacedBody span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:#0563C1; text-decoration:underline;} .aolReplacedBody a:visited,.aolReplacedBody span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-priority:99; color:#954F72; text-decoration:underline;} .aolReplacedBody p.MsoPlainText,.aolReplacedBody li.MsoPlainText,.aolReplacedBody div.MsoPlainText {mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;} .aolReplacedBody span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-typeersonal; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; color:#1F497D;} .aolReplacedBody span.EmailStyle18 {mso-style-typeersonal-reply; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; color:#1F497D;} .aolReplacedBody span.PlainTextChar {mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char"; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Plain Text"; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;} .aolReplacedBody .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} .aolReplacedBody div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} Good Morning John,

All of our buoys (Eastern, Central, Western, and Execution Rocks) were severely ice damaged over the winter. Western actually broke its mooring and was upside down floating free for about 10 days before it righted itself and reestablished comms. We were able track and retrieve it over in Smithtown Bay at the beginning of March. Execution Rocks was tipped over (not completely, but also suffered damage). The current plan is to replace the western end buoys first (as they are funded - the other buoys are not) - Execution Rocks at the end of May with a new buoy, Western sometime in June with a new buoy, at which point we will recover Central and get it repaired.

I’ve attached some photos because a picture really does explain a lot…

Regards, Kay.
--------------------------------------
Mary M. (Kay) Howard-Strobel
Research Associate
University of Connecticut
Marine Sciences Dept.
1080 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT 06340
860-405-9172

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 8:40 AM
To:
Cc: Howard-Strobel, Kay
Subject: RE: MySound weather bouys

John,
Thank you for your interest in the buoys. Yes, the winter was very hard on the buoys and totally damaging at least one. The WLIS buoy needs replacement. The buoy team is working hard to obtain funding to repair and replace needed components. The execution rocks buoy is expected to be replaced around May 20th. I am not sure of a date for the Western Buoy.
Kay Howard-Strobel is in charge of the buoy network and can provide more detail if you have additional questions. I have included her on this email.

Turner

Turner Cabaniss
Marine Operations
Marine Sciences
University of Connecticut

1080 Shennecossett Rd
Groton, CT 06340
860.405.9178-voice
860.389.0677- cell
860.405.9153-fax

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 7:04 AM
To: Cabaniss, J. Turner
Subject: MySound weather bouys

Dear sir,

I have a boat and use it between the Execution Rocks and Western Sound buoys. They are a great help, as I always check them before I decide to go out on the water. They have been off line for quite a while . Will they be on line soon? I'll take a guess that this winter had an affect on them.

Thank you,

John

4 Attached Images

jdbic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! Good to know they are planning to get things up and running again. I didn't realize how much I count on those buoys- find myself hitting the bookmark every time I start up the boat- well, and every "once in a while" while at work thinking about starting up the boat!
StuNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Execution buoy is back online!
SmittyMako17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

That would be great news, I didn't realize how much I relied on both of those reports until they were gone!

Unfortunately when I just checked it, it's still off line....

Last edited by Firenailer; 06-06-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default weather buoys

Still waiting for Execution Rocks and Western Sound buoys to get online.Weather reports are sometimes way off. Had a marine report of nw 5-10 winds a couple of weeks ago and it was more like 15-20. The weather buoys give an accurate account of wave heights.
flonderbound is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
ag3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flonderbound View Post
Still waiting for Execution Rocks and Western Sound buoys to get online.Weather reports are sometimes way off. Had a marine report of nw 5-10 winds a couple of weeks ago and it was more like 15-20. The weather buoys give an accurate account of wave heights.
Execution is working occasionally. Hopefully, it means they are working on it.
ag3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.