Blackfish jigging - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blackfish jigging

This will be my first season jigging for blackfish and I was wondering what type of knot people use to tie on they're jigs and if it matters? Also does anyone use a teaser hook above the jig with success?
surfcastwitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

While there is by no means only one method of rigging, I will offer the following.
I like to tie directly to jig with either improved clincher or palomar. I use Head N Tails jigs for their thin diameter and excellent hook. The maker of Tidal Tails jigs recommends using a loop knot like the Homer Rhode. This may work for some but here is why I don't recommend it. For the same reason I use ABSOLUTELY NO HARDWARE OF ANY KIND in my rig, I want NO PLAY WHATSOEVER in the whole rig. You must understand that you are fishing extremely shallow mostly, from 8 to 20'. I use a spinning rod rated for 6-12lb line, 10lb powerpro superslick, and a 3-4' leader(depending on structure type) of 30lb flouro tied in with a bristol knot or crazy alberto knot. All of this together gives me an EXTREMELY light weight package and ZERO play between the tip of my rod and the 1/2( to 3/4) oz jig I normally use. With this set up I can feel every single touch of any kind, or lack there of (pick up). I have handled tog to 8+ on this setup with no trouble!
My fishing partner uses a similar setup with same line but on Star 8-17lb rod. Same action. Last year (our worst due to weather in last 5) we caught over 300+ tog in month of Oct on these set ups! Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Bill
chawk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

ps if you search on here further, you will find some very informative threads that go into way more detail on this subject.
here's one
Who's Ready For Some Blackfishing!

Old 09-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

here's another good one

Tidal Tails with green crabs?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Azaiter Send a message via AIM to Azaiter
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawk View Post
While there is by no means only one method of rigging, I will offer the following.
I like to tie directly to jig with either improved clincher or palomar. I use Head N Tails jigs for their thin diameter and excellent hook. The maker of Tidal Tails jigs recommends using a loop knot like the Homer Rhode. This may work for some but here is why I don't recommend it. For the same reason I use ABSOLUTELY NO HARDWARE OF ANY KIND in my rig, I want NO PLAY WHATSOEVER in the whole rig. You must understand that you are fishing extremely shallow mostly, from 8 to 20'. I use a spinning rod rated for 6-12lb line, 10lb powerpro superslick, and a 3-4' leader(depending on structure type) of 30lb flouro tied in with a bristol knot or crazy alberto knot. All of this together gives me an EXTREMELY light weight package and ZERO play between the tip of my rod and the 1/2( to 3/4) oz jig I normally use. With this set up I can feel every single touch of any kind, or lack there of (pick up). I have handled tog to 8+ on this setup with no trouble!
My fishing partner uses a similar setup with same line but on Star 8-17lb rod. Same action. Last year (our worst due to weather in last 5) we caught over 300+ tog in month of Oct on these set ups! Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Bill
And that's all you need to know about Jiging for Tog...Fred.
Azaiter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaiter View Post
And that's all you need to know about Jiging for Tog...Fred.
Thank you Fred.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

,, ALL I CAN SAY ITS A BLAST FISHING FOR THE TOG WITH JIGS IM FINDING
OUT ANY SMALL JIGS WORK FINE I USE ASIANS WHEN IT OPENS THEN WHEN THE BITE STOPS ON THE ASIANS GREEN IS VERY GOOD,,,,,,,,><(((:> ~~~~ ><(((:>
mojoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great info!
surfcastwitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have never really done this type of fishing Almost everything I own is conventional rods and reels. I like to use baitcasting reels for fluke fishing Do you think this type of setup would work If not I would buy a spinning setup What are the type of reels (size or model #) are you using? What type of pole are you using??

Last year I caught a 12 lb fish on a Lamiglas 7030 with a Shimano Tekota 500 The fish took 3 good runs I actually thought I had a bass or bluefish I don't know if I could have tame the fish with one of my fluke baitcasting setups. on Thanks in advance
du410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by du410 View Post
I have never really done this type of fishing Almost everything I own is conventional rods and reels. I like to use baitcasting reels for fluke fishing Do you think this type of setup would work If not I would buy a spinning setup What are the type of reels (size or model #) are you using? What type of pole are you using??

Last year I caught a 12 lb fish on a Lamiglas 7030 with a Shimano Tekota 500 The fish took 3 good runs I actually thought I had a bass or bluefish I don't know if I could have tame the fish with one of my fluke baitcasting setups. on Thanks in advance
A convention reel will do just fine. You don't have to cast the jig.
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.