Soldiers on the Sound 7-9-11 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

The Smithtown Bay Yacht Club hosted the third annual 'Soldiers on the Sound' fluke fishing tournament this past Saturday. It is the club and its membership?s way of saying thank you to those who have served and are currently serving our country providing the freedoms that we cherish so, so much. It just keeps getting better and better every year.

The club invited active duty service people, Veterans, and their families out for a fun day of fluke fishing, food, raffles, and entertainment. The active duty personnel that attended were from the 106th New York Air National Guard Rescue Wing. There were about 40 active duty Servicemen and a few brought their wives or children. Several Veterans also came down for a total of about 60 guests.

Mark and his wife Michelle did an outstanding job organizing and executing this event. There was lots of help from many people but these two shined bright. There was a breakfast that included bagels and home baked goodies. They were delicious Mary, thank you very much.

The raffle was a huge success. I would like to thank Capt. Neil for his very generous donation of a custom built rod. I fished with Capt. Neil aboard his charter a couple of weeks ago and he most graciously agreed to donate one of his beautiful rods for the event. You will be glad to know Capt. Neil that a true die hard fisherman won that rod and it will go to good use. I saw this guy dive into the water to retrieve a much lesser rod a few weeks ago, I am sure he will go above and beyond for your custom built gem. Thank you very much!

I would also like to thank the Celtic Quest. While aboard Capt. Neil?s charter I spoke with Capt. Chris about the Soldiers on the Sound event and he donated a free trip aboard the CQ for the raffle. Last Friday aboard Jay?s charter I got to thank Capt. Desi for the donation. It was very nice of the CQ crew to make a contribution. It is appreciated.

J&H Tackle of Oakdale also stepped up big time. The donations and discounts on rods & reels and other items was very generous of them. Thank you so much, it really, sincerely was appreciated!

The many donations from many local businesses was also very much appreciated, thank you very much.

About 25 members donated their boats, gas, and gear to take these Servicemen fishing. Add in the mates and ?behind the scenes? people and I would have to guess that at least 75 members donated their day (and more) to make this ?thank you? to those who have served or currently serving our country a hassle free and successful event for them. It was a pleasure to see these folks enjoy the beautiful day.

Now for the fishing, we left the docks about 9:00AM and boats headed in every direction. Some went west towards Short Beach and points west, some headed east to Port Jefferson and Mount Sinai, and some stayed close to home. The boat I mated on stayed close and drifted the drop offs by the cans.

We had a constant pick of shorts; quite a few approached the 20? mark. It was hard to leave a spot that was producing. By the end of the day we landed well over 50 fluke. Reports from the fleet were similar. Good action but keepers were hard to come by. Many of these guys know how to fluke fish well too.

The bite died off as the tide changed, but picked up again once the change kicked in. There were keepers here and there and I landed one about 1:30. It was a nice just shy of five pound flattie. About that time the boats all clustered around the cans as the cutoff time approached. We all headed in about 2:00PM. There were about a dozen keepers landed. The pool winner was over 5-1/2 pounds.

We then enjoyed a beautiful day with good food & drink, a very good band playing some tunes then the raffle. It really was a great day and a wonderful way to say ?thank you? to those who have served and continue to serve our country. There were lots of laughs and it made me proud to be an American and member of the Smithtown Bay Yacht Club.

It was great to see these Servicemen, Veterans, and their families enjoy a ?no strings attached? day of fun and fishing. Thank you for your service, and thanks again to Mark, Michelle, and everyone else who made this happen. I can?t wait until next year!

This post edited by Koz54 09:13 PM 07/11/2011
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1530-2.jpg (106.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1586-2.jpg (57.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1681.jpg (35.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1711.jpg (36.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1725.jpg (41.8 KB, 0 views)
Koz54 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1733.jpg (39.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1753.jpg (35.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1799.jpg (37.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1855.jpg (64.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1862.jpg (50.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1873.jpg (51.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1983.jpg (56.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
jpd

Default How awesome is that?

Way to go guys! [img]thumb.gif[/img]
jpd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

AWESOME[img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Hi Mike,

That is a great report of a great happening. Kudos to your fishing club for giving back to our service people.

Thank you for asking me to be part of this day.

Neil
Captneilf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great report Mike, thanks for the props .. Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2469.jpg (34.6 KB, 0 views)
kidcochiese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hoorah!!!

Way to go..[img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img][img]thumb.gif[/img]

Mike if you need help next year let me know.

Going Off The Rails On A Crazy Train
crabman1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you to our service men n women!!Thanks S.B.Y.C. great job John
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mike,
Great Report... You hit the nail on the head.
I think all involved feel the same.. Was a perfect day.
We could have used a few more keepers, but all the rods were bending.

Thanks again for your help.. And the Capt. Neil rod will defiantly be put to good use.

See you out there soon,
Mike
go2tcu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.