jigging for blackfish - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

i tried jigging for blacks with 1 oz jigheads and greens got 1 rat blackfish- but what type of tackle (spinning /conventional ) what type of jigs and how would you fish the jigs. thank you-need help badly cant catch these fish.
deejfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Go see John Knight at Hudson Park Bait and Tackle in New Rochelle. He will fill you in.
Snitchengruber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

deejfisher wrote:
i tried jigging for blacks with 1 oz jigheads and greens got 1 rat blackfish- but what type of tackle (spinning /conventional ) what type of jigs and how would you fish the jigs. thank you-need help badly cant catch these fish.

I have been using Tidatail jigs with great success (when the winds not blowing ). I put the jig on the bottom with a green or spider crab and put an asain or smaller piece of crab on another hook a few inches above. Once I hit the bottom, just bring it up a tad. Jig it every few seconds, but not like how you jig when your fluking, much slower.
If I can get Tog on jigs, believe me, you can. I was never a good Tog fisherman until I started using these jigs. (not that I'm any good now, lol.) I prefer to use conventional, but I gotta tell ya, my kids slaying them on spinning. [img]surprise1.gif[/img]

This post edited by Onemoredrift 05:12 PM 11/08/2010
Onemoredrift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Spin tackle, 20 lb braid (I use ten and haven't broken off one yet to 6lbs). Spinning reel lets line down with less resistance. Tidal tails Jigz in 1-2 oz. Soft current. Greens deep or asians shallow. Get jig to bottom slightly upcurrent. "walk" it till find a rock. LEAVE IT. When bite comes, lift rod and inch or two, if weight, lift and reel.

That's it in a nutshell! Good luck.
chawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you guys. i think i will definatly have to go to that bait and tackle and hopefully get that keeper that everybody is talking about
deejfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here you go. How to fish a blackfish jig
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Cheaper alterative

John Knight at Hudson Park Bait and Tackle in New Rochelle always helpful and I think his jigs are the best. I have a number of friends that I fish with[on my boat] who don?t have there own equipment so I have been using a sinker loop and 2 inches above a drop loop and 2 inches above that another loop and using 1/0 hooks 30 pound flora and the braid line to the reel and have had great success much cheaper than the jigs and are fished the same way. I also have round flat sinkers that also help but work well with bank sinker. Don?t make the loops to large they twist.
steveditt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default GO as LIGHT As possible.

The LIGHTER the jig, the MORE action I get. Like ALL fishing to my experience, fish, ALL fish, ANY fish NEVER like to feel weight or resistance of any weight when they take a bait.

In this case the weight being the jig itself, I've found that the lighter I can fish the more strikes I get. In shallower water where I begin my togging in early Oct. there is little current so it's much easier to get away with even a 1/4 oz jig, AND I find they work GREAT! My main size of choice is a 3/8 oz. I've still received great strikes on 1/2 oz too. It's when I go heavier than that that my strikes noticeably decrease.

I've caught tog on 3/4, 1 oz, and 1 1/2 oz sizes, but I go to the heavier jigs in deeper water with more current. As the tide increases or decreases I scale up or down accordingly. I always see the results when I keep in mind that LESS IS MORE.

This year I've adapted to using 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs in depths as deep as 30-42 ft so far and it's been working great! The heaviest jigs I've caught tog on this year so far have been 1 oz. LIGHTER is BETTER, LESS IS MORE!

Honestly,...Color has not really seemed to me to make ANY difference at all. I've used EVERY color and even UNPAINTED and caught as many fish on one as another.

(2) of the MOST important aspects of fishing with jigs that I've found is #1 GO as LIGHT (as possible) on your jig, and #2 MAKE SURE your jig hook is the RIGHT SIZE. I MUCH prefer jigs with SMALLER hooks. Obviously you can't use a jig with a BIG 6/0 or 8/0 Bass hook on it. I like a 1/0 to 2/0 hook personally.

People say, "but won't the hook bend out on a BIG tog?" Well,.. I landed a 10 lb 6 oz tog on a 3/8 jig on Oct. 12th this year, and yesterday I had one shy of 9 lbs.on the same size jig. It's NOT a problem if you fish your drag light enough. You HAVE TO let the big fish run.

The rest of the time you WANT the hook to bend out.I've gotten snagged countless times when casting the jig around in the shallow places. I work the rod abruptly until either the hook bends out and comes out of the snag or I break off and have to retie.

MOST of the time the hook bends out, I get the jig back, I bend it back to it's original curvature with pliers and then keep fishing. IF my leader isn't TOO frayed up, maybe I'll retie if it is of course. Otherwise I have to Albright knot a whole new leader on and tie a new jig on. It's also a good idea to have a hook sharpener with you too.

You need a small hook because you're bait presentation is small. An Asian crab is very small. A HALF Green Crab is small most of the time. The tog will eat the bait right off the jig hook if they don't get your hook right in their mouth.

You DON'T want to expose allot of hook point sticking out of your bait either because you'll just end up SNAGGED in the nasty rough stuff that the tog live in. A large hook with a giant point will ensure that you lose lots of jigs which is GREAT for the tackle industry but bad for you.

AND remember,...this is a very DIFFERENT feel than using a traditional black fish rig. It's finesse fishing and the pickup can be very light and subtle. You're waiting for the tog to crunch the crab and pound your line down in the water but your weight is light and that kind of bite doesn't happen. The fish picks it right up off the bottom sometimes which is what you want them to do, and if your lucky they'll just try to swim away with it. Yesterday, I felt a slight pick up and nothing more,... I lifted the rod and the 8 3/4 lb tog was ON! I might never have known if i didn't lift right then!!!

My friend Pete also mentioned that he even lifts the jig slightly above the bottom, (about an inch or 2) allot of times, and that he feels it often brings more strikes. I thought "that sounds kinda crazy?"....I tried it and it worked!!! I DID get more strikes! Of course when I'm fishing VERY shallow I even cast the jig around to other spots so you can't do that in that case. But if you're fishing straight up & down under the boat try it out.

In my mind jig fishing has little or NOTHING AT ALL to do with the color of your jig. Jig fishing is all about the natural presentation of your bait.Will one color or another attract more tog??? Not to my experience so far, but maybe one any given day "I guess?"

Generally the tog is hunting crab on ROCKS where the tog and crabs both live. They don't look for food fluttering in the current on the end of leader with a sinker attached. They hunt crabs where the crabs live. The presentation of your crab on a jig mimics a natural presentation of the crab crawling around their home "the Rock" and triggers an attack response from the tog.

RODS & REELS: I've been using 7 ft. Light spinning rods. A 6-12 lb test St. Croix and a LOOMIS GL3 10-17 lb test 1/4-5/8 lure. The Loomis is more limber than my 6-12 lb Croix. the Croix is kinda stiff for it's ratting. the action seems awesome on both, I think they're perfect for this stuff.

When I go deeper I have a 7 ft. Star Rod 8-16 lb test 1/4 - 3/4 oz lure which is a bit beefier blank.

I have a Shimano Stradic (old model) 4000 on the star rod, and another of the same on my St. Croix but the newer model 4000.

I use a 260 Penn slammer reel on my GL3. ALL spooled with 20# Power Pro. I like to use 50# test floro for my leaders but if I run out "which I have", I've used regular 40 lb leader material and caught just and many and just as big fish.

I LOVEEEEEE fishing this way!!!! i love catching these BIG tog on these small outfits, the FIGHT is INSANE!!!!!! They BURN the drag furiously!!!! It's a WHOLE NEW sensation for me! It's added a brand new element of fishing for blacks and I've enjoyed bigger fish on almost every trip this year as a result.the originators of this style whoever they may be, where geniuses!!!I CAN'T thank them enough!!!!

Good luck to all out there! I like to hear how everyone is making out out there so post your reports here when you get out. You gotta get out there ASAP and use what little time we have left!!! This LI SOUND togging only has a couple of weeks left and the fat lady may sing. If the weather holds up the BEST case scenario I've ever seen was they bit into the 2nd week of December but that is rare. If the weather lets you out GO GET EM NOW!!! Most likely they "MAY" bight to Thanksgiving and anything after that is BONUS!

After that it'll be time for us to fish in the ocean, a WHOLE different animal!!!

This post edited by bigtunabunda 10:54 AM 11/11/2010
bigtunabunda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have to agree with bigtunabunda, go as light as you can get away with on the jigs. With the smallest jigs, the asians will actually walk around dragging the jig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigfishsmalljig.jpg (24.2 KB, 5 views)
nightsurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

nightsurf wrote:
I have to agree with bigtunabunda, go as light as you can get away with on the jigs. With the smallest jigs, the asians will actually walk around dragging the jig.

How do you hook them so they can "walk" around?
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.