Schooner Beached at Fire Island - Page 4 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #31 (permalink)

Here are a bunch of photos of her when it first happened.
The sails are still up

Photo Gallery Facebook
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #32 (permalink)

Default Just heard about this

I went with Jim Reynolds to look at this job. It's certainly doable from the water. We would have needed to dewater her, and get the sand out of her. There was one small split in a seam, and a nice eighth inch hole from corrosion, so she's not very sound. But she would have come off, just a matter of horsepower and man power. Several ways to approach it, depending on the horsepower and nuber of vessels available. Keeping her afloat afterwards wouldn't be a problem. But, in this last picture, it seems possible that she bent or broke. Although the waist simply may have laid out from sand loading and scouring. The time I spent there, the sand was very alive, at one time filling the deck and tight around the hull, then the deck was clean, and the wheel was clear. I pulled one with a deeper keel off Barrett two years ago, with my boat.

Paul
CaptPaul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #33 (permalink)

Just to clarify, it's the thread that I just saw. We were on scene the day it went up, and the next day.

Paul
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

Default it looks like a scene from the 19th century.

Vector is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #35 (permalink)

Default Auto Pilot Error ????

Happens alot especially around Breezy Point seen it a few time's guys sail straight over the Jetty ,,, or the Suicide Jetty by the Verrizono ...

Its a real cool wreck though looks like a fish tank thingy
mesinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

CaptPaul wrote:
I went with Jim Reynolds to look at this job. It's certainly doable from the water. We would have needed to dewater her, and get the sand out of her. There was one small split in a seam, and a nice eighth inch hole from corrosion, so she's not very sound. But she would have come off, just a matter of horsepower and man power. Several ways to approach it, depending on the horsepower and nuber of vessels available. Keeping her afloat afterwards wouldn't be a problem. But, in this last picture, it seems possible that she bent or broke. Although the waist simply may have laid out from sand loading and scouring. The time I spent there, the sand was very alive, at one time filling the deck and tight around the hull, then the deck was clean, and the wheel was clear. I pulled one with a deeper keel off Barrett two years ago, with my boat.

Paul

what about welding the seam and a patch over the corrosion ?? she could probably make it to dock to be hauled
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

A couple of seams and holes aren't an issue. I wouldn't even mind dewatering/desanding her, dragging her into a couple feet of water, patching her, then refloating her fully, if the sea conditions permitted. Otherwise, a couple of two or three inch pumps hung in the rigging during the refloat will keep up with an awful lot of water. The only reason I mentioned the split seam and corrossion, is because a steel boat like that shouldn't have split a seam, and the corrossion is the reason why it happened. That means that she may fail during the the refloat. But when we looked at her, I think there wouldn't have been a problem. The only thing that stopped us was lack of an agreement.

Looking at the last picture on the full sized computer instead of the Black Berry, she's not broken, it's just the aspect with the sail arrangement.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #38 (permalink)

MakoMike wrote:
I didn't say it was "finders keepers" but there is a right of salvage, sea tow uses it all the time. [img]ubicon8.gif[/img] Its particularly applicable in this case since the ship is in danger of becoming a total loss. I forget what the % is, but in a case like this the salvor can claim a substantial potion of the Fair Market Value of the floating vessel as compensation.

As Mike says, salvage doesn't mean you can take someone's vessel. It defines the scope of the project, usually a condition of immediate peril to the vessel, or environment. Some insurance companies negotiate salvage fees. There is, popularly, the Llloyd's Open Form, which is most often used for "no cure, no pay," and that is where the fee is based upon the value of the vessel and it's cargo, usually twenty-five percent.

Alternately, there is a Special Compensation clause, which becomes payable to the salver when he has prevented or minimized damage to the environment, but the value of the salved property is insufficient to provide for a normal salvage award.

Anyway, salvers do things accoeding to their own policy. Many only work on the "No cure, no pay" clause on the LOF, whereas others may very well work on a day or hourly rate, either all inclusive(Very high rate), or based on crew and equipment. In this case, it may be possible to get away cheaper, but of they decide they have exhausted their possibilities, they can walk away, leave the vessel in peril, and they are still due payment.

Between the Incorporated Village of Saltaire, and the Fire Island National Seashore, that boat will be removed, and they will not pay a dime in the process, except for lawyers.

Lesson today- Get hull insurance.

Paul
Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #39 (permalink)

Paul,
What happened to the sailboat in the thumb?
Matt
matt04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #40 (permalink)

Don't worry about that. It's on an agenda.

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.