leader length for blacks and sea bass - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

What length leader do you use when blackfishing?
When the tide is moving rapidly do you lengthen or shorten leader? Do you shorten your leader when the tide dies down?

Same question for seabass?
MVPAEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

I use 12" or shorter for tog.
For seabass it never seems to make a difference, I'll use drop loops most of the time.
MattAng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

For blackfish I attach the hook to a dropper loop in the leader, only 3" or 4" long. I find this help prevent loosing rigs and fish in sticky bottom. The leader material it self is about 3' long.

For seabass I use a tandom rig instead. I find I have a better hook up rate with this rig than a dropper loop on seabass and porgy. I think it's has something to do with the braided line I use. I use a stand-off knot to tie the snelled leader to the line and the leader is about 10" with another leader attached half way along the first.
6to8ftSeas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

my main question was do you change the length of your leader or dropper loop when the tide picks up or in slack tide.
MVPAEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Im not a big fan of long leaders for blackfishing.

What I sometimes do is go from 2 hooks to 1 and go to a lighter leader if the bite gets tough. Some days I use 60# leader material and they rip the rod out of my hand. Other days I'll go to 30#-40# to get a bite.

You also might want to think about your bait differently. Try finding a soft shelled crab and using that to get a bite. They dont always want the hard white crabs or the "RED" greenies.
MisterX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

mvpaec > no i don't
MattAng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Kind of

I have heard "theoretically" that when bottom fishing in fast running current you should keep your leader close as possible to the bottom, but in slower water you should move your dropper loop to about a 12"-16" above the sinker. The logic is that fish hold tight to the structure in fast current and pull away scavanging for food in slower current. I try it when I think of it, but, my findings have not been conclusive. However, I do use this concept to determine whether I want to find a hole in a wreck or sit on a high spot.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default This is an interesting subject

I had heard the oppposite, that when the current screams, as in codfishing, use a longer leader. Not that I do it, but that's what I've heard and more than once too.

While I do make very occasional trips up to the North Shore to fish with Capt. Desi and there I do as the Romans do and use his 3-4" dropper loop rig, up high over the sinker loop; on my home grounds of Jones Inlet I do like a 10-12" piece of 80lb Ande or Hi-Seas mono leader on my Virginias or Mustad Big Guns.

I start with a piece 14-15" long and between the 5 or 6-turn snell and the leader loop knot, 10-12" is what I end up with. Seems to work for me under most conditions.

I used to use that super heavy 80lb "Fin Strike" stuff - you know, the thick milky-white leader material in the 10-yd packages, but it was much tougher to snell with than the Ande or HS stuff, so I gave up on it for my hooks. Never really saw a big difference in the longevity of the more supple material I now like and the Fin-Strike stuff, so I just go with the easier to use stuff. I still occasionally use the FS leader for the making of my "17" rig, but that's another story, one that I've written of before.

Getting back to blackfishing leader length, its actually something that I guess I should have investigated more thoroughly over the years. But I never did so, as the length I always used seemed to work well 90% of the time - here on the mid South Shore.

But then, we all know that 90% rule of fishing - its that last 10% that separates the men from the boys in this game. And I suffer along with most others on those slower "10%" days - so my bad, I guess.

best, Lep
Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Was on the phone last night with my friend,he mates on a PB out of manasquan inlet.. seabass are done,the tog hasn't yet been like last years season,pretty much as all you are reporting.. hit or miss, we talked and he emphasized chances are better increased during weekdays 30 or less weights bouncing rather the weekends when they can have 50 or more weights bouncing on those smart fish! But I will take what I can get,not this week hopefully next week. really want to try that mrs. lep recipe [img]tongue.gif[/img]
travelingwaves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Smart move lep!

Its always good to do like the Romans, especially when the Romans (desi, chris, and pete) will relentlessly mock you. A few years back I made the mistake of putting a second dropper loop up high, desi spotted my rig from the helm! One time I saw some poor guy tie a [img]pissed.gif[/img]?????[img]pissed.gif[/img] rig, where you put two hooks in one crab. Desi and the guys heckled him for about 20min until he finally changed his rig. I was laughing so hard I couldn't set a hook the whole time, thankfully this guy was a good sport. When he did finally change his rig the whole boat cheered.

PS. If anyone know the name of this rig I'd appreciate some help, its killing me! I tried to look it up online but I got nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.