So am I the only "Upside Down" fluke jigger? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone else out there hold their light baitcasters with the reel upside down? I find that held this way the outfit balances much better.Also it creates far less wrist fatigue if I hold the rod upside down and just ahead of the reel.

Holding it this way, just ahead of the setup's natural balance point makes the rod slightly butt heavy, giving me a squinch more leverage to jig, jig, jig that rod tip all day long. Believe me, done the right way, jigging can give one some mighty achy wrists. Holding your outfit this way helps alleviate those wrist issues. Plus it puts a good part of the hand on the blank itself - again a slight plus, from a sensitivity point of view.

So, anybody else do this?

By the way, that's my buddy Eddie/Savvy18 in the second pic with me. You'll never find a bigger believer in jigging for fluke than Savvy18. He do love dem Spros. But there's just something about his favorite fishin' hat that I can't stand. What the heck could it be?

Anyway, AM I THE ONLY "UPSIDE DOWN" FLUKE JIGGER?

This post edited by Leprechaun 11:52 AM 07/17/2007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jigging1.jpg (24.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg jigging2.jpg (39.0 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use this same technique when tog fishing. It is less fatigue when fishing all day. You can still set the hook in this position the transition is a little difficult and takes some getting used too.
NDORADO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I also hold my rod like you. I set the hook like that and very carefully turn it over and try to keep tension so the fish doesn't come off.
treypescatorie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Holding the rod like that, it looks like you'll be poking yourself with the trigger seat all day.

I'm a bit skeptical, but a first hand demonstration might convice me
obtuseangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I like the hat.[img]thumb.gif[/img] were did he get it? I could really use that type of hat down here. LOL

Tired wrist, we all get older eventually and any short cut will help.

Light tackle stuff down here is mostly spinning outfits although I do have a few baitcasters that a re hardly used anymore.
baywatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

So Lep, you don't keep your thumb on the baitcaster spool and release it when you feel a thump to give the fluke time to come up on the bait?
Matts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

I usually hold it upside down like you do though if I want more contact with the reel for dropping back etc. I hold it sideways. With the low profile baitcaster I use its pretty confortabel to fish that way too.

This post edited by reelfisher 10:16 AM 07/17/2007
reelfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

MAtts, I'll assume iif he drops back he'll just drop teh rod tip while flippin the rod over to grab teh reel.

LEp, if you fish like that and have all those custom rods...why not get one with a foregrip your hand fits on?

Do you get that same wrist fatigue when you use a spinning rod?
Billy40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Answers:

1/ I have no need for hyper-expensive custom light baitcasting rods - there are so very many excellent factory rods of this type, its easy to find ones with the action I prefer for the fishing I do. I like custom built rods very much, but just don't see why I need to spend multi-hundreds of dollars for a custom when a great rod for my applications can be found for less than $60 in many cases. Having said that, Capt Neil has a very nice custom DNY Impact under construction for me that will eventually replace most of my light factory flukin' baitcasters. Believe me, it was his idea, not mine. I really do like the factory rods I have now for light fluke jigging. And not a one is still in production - I've had them for a while.

Also, regarding my hand fitting on the foregrip - why? Like I wrote, I prefer to feel part of the blank when I fish this way. I also, not coincidentally, am finding that a relatively short foregrip on a blackfish rod, like what St. Croix offers on their excellent PM610MF gives me just that little extra sensitivity that I'm looking for. Both of these cases (fluke and tog, I mean) are similar to the new-ish trend in FW bass fishing rods - in which the foregrip is completely eliminated - and for the same reason - increased sensitivity.

2/ I don't use spinning rods. Well, maybe I use one once in a great while for bass plugging with very light lures such as crystal minnows and the like. All the rest of my fishing is done with baitcasters. Oh, and now that I think about it, I do use an old Penn SS 550 Spinfisher for snagging bunker. That's the extent of my spinning arsenal.

Lep

This post edited by Leprechaun 11:53 AM 07/17/2007
Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wh osaid anythign about hyper expensive, I just said get one with a foregrip your hand fits on, lol. I have a single FLuke rod without a foregrip, which makes my hand cramp the few times I hold it above the foregrip. It's abotu a thousand times comfortabler having a foregrip to hold.

The spinning rod question I threw out there in general. I never hear people say much abotu wrist fatigue with teh spinner, but hear it often with teh conventional.

I really don't want to argue
Billy40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.