Somerset Fishing Expo Booty - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Somerset Fishing Expo Booty

Yeah, um, not THAT kind of booty, though there was some of that there as well - not that I looked, of course!

Rather, some great fishing and fishing-related pickups, that have (temporarily) satisfied my spending urge of the "fishin' fun money" that's been burning a hole in my pocket since the LEP went on the hard, late last December.

As you can see from the first pic, these included a new pair of boot(ies), a smokin'ly on-the-money tee shirt and some good-tasting food enhancers.

Oh yeah, and a new rod too.

These new-to-me Xtra-Tuf booties will be replacing my old Shimano EVAIRS, which have lost their "deck-stickiness" over time. This caused me to slide down my dock's sharply-inclined morning-dampened gangway, spilling me headfirst HARD into a bulkhead piling. Such a nasty shot that I had to sit down on my fish box for 10 minutes to clear my head. It subsided enough that I was able to head out to the deep grounds and make a day of it - nice flattie limit to 6lbs, BTW - but the residual effects of a lasting headache and non-stop nausea forced me to my family doctor the next day - who diagnosed it as a mild concussion. He was stunned when I told him I had still sailed SOLO and still had come in my "regular" late afternoon return time, despite the obvious trauma. Hey, I waste NO opportunity to get out there, every chance I get, wounded or not. Guess his big Sea Ray is never too far from his Massapequa home - and I suppose that he thinks everyone boats in that fashion. He didn't think it was so funny when I laughed and immediately put my hand to my temple to make the hurt stop. Some people just will never "get it." Me, I mean.

In any case, these new Xtra-Tufs had a completely different sole composition and pattern versus the EVAIRS - and I'm hopeful that they will prevent a similar incident in the coming seasons. I make light of it, but its no laughing matter getting hurt around the water - and having no one with you to make sure you're still breathing. Oh well, live and learn.

Regarding the shirt - I couldn't have put it better than what's expressed on its front. They were being sold by the RFA, at a quite reasonable price of $16 - with half going to the RFA, and half to the fin-fish research program at Rutgers University. IMO, both endeavors are well worth the expenditure and the shirt is AWESOME in person. I'm loving the Biscuit and Fluke behind bars. Probably at a joint NOAA/CIA black site somewhere far inland. (Ya think maybe a little too much Homeland/24 viewing by yours truly?) The less-than-subtle "Trumpian" final line was really what sealed the deal for me.

Truthfully, I was also looking for a Skull and Crossbones pendant for one of my VHF antennae, because that would REALLY sum up my thoughts on this season's pending regulations - but I couldn't find a vendor offering such an item. One could probably have cleaned up if they were being sold - at least that's what my extemporaneous research indicated, after speaking with a few dozen other visitors and exhibitors there. Well, ahhh, my boat is distinctive enough from a distance - no need to call any more attention to ourselves and activities than absolutely necessary. Not that we'd ever consider an unlawful act - not at all.

The two bottles of foodie stuff were the best I could find there - A small-lot maker of various mustards, this one being wasabi-infused, and what just might be the best-tasting BBQ sauce I've ever sampled. Nuff said - except that the taste-testing at the BBQ sauce vendor was quite the draw, what with the freshly-made pulled pork he was giving out as test samples. Mmmm. I also did want to get a tub of those terrific horseradish pickles from the Pickle Dudes, but the line was at least 30-deep every time I went to look - I'm a patient man, but not THAT patient. Not for pickles, anyway.

As far as the rod goes - NICE stuff, man! I've had my eye on a Japanese-style slow-jigging rod ever since my trip to Joisey, visiting Kilsong's Jig-n-Pop and Yong at Jigging World. Check out this post entry for more on that event-filled day: Slow Jigging, Grams-to-Ounces and "PE" Line Ratings - What does it all mean?.

Though I really do admire Black Hole's Magic Eye 571XXH, a smokin'-nice stick indeed, I ended up choosing between Yong/JW's brand-new Silver Bullet 150 gram model, and his more established Ghost Hunter Slow Jigger 150g. After driving Yong's sales guy crazy for two 15 minute sessions - right whilst they were busiest, and also employing the considerable knowledgeable input from one of my best flukin' buddies, I ended up taking the Ghost Hunter - a real beauty.

Those Silver Bullet rods are also super nice, and well worth your evaluation, but for me the Ghost Hunter was just a tad more substantial and had an ever so slightly faster bend to it - both being characteristics that I was looking for. That Yong was offering a 20% discount on his house rods helped cement my decision.

I think the Ghost Hunter and Silver Bullet rods slot right in between Shimano's Trevala S rods and Kilsong's Black Hole Slow Jiggers - both in quality and cost. I did really also like the newest Shimano Game Type "J" slow jiggers - but at $400, umm, even I have my limits, when it comes to factory-built fluke jigging sticks.

As you can see, my new Ghost Hunter is a near-PERFECT match to my well-modified Gen-3 Winch, the colors and overall setup balance is right on the money. I can hardly wait to get it out there and use it to catch my two keepers. What a joke!

In truth there were lots of other things that me and da' boyz looked at - one of us shot the lock off his wallet for a new Tranx 300 from Yong. He was throwing in one of his excellent house power handles and giving discount on top of it - so that was a no-brainer. I think it was heading for a marriage with his Proteus H that he acquired at last year's Somerset Show.

All in all we spent three or so hours there, and I have to say, despite being a LI-born and raised guy, the Somerset Show is as good as it gets for SW-specific fishing gear. We had an EXCELLENT time - topped off with our customary after-show dinner at Gino's of Howard Beach. Apps of Seafood Salad, Broiled Octopus and Broccoli Rabe, an entree of Shrimp Oreganata (OMG! Tremendous!), with a side of white clam sauce over linguini. A half of a fresh-filled cannoli and Espresso to top it all off. Well, in my 61 years, I'd have to look back a bit to find a more fulfilling day than yesterday was. Just a ton of fun swapping stories - fishing and otherwise, and enjoying the day with good, good friends. best, Lep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0941_edited.jpg (252.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0943_edited.jpg (217.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0944_edited.jpg (222.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0945_edited.jpg (184.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0946_edited.jpg (143.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0948_edited.jpg (188.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Leprechaun; 03-21-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Glad you guys had a great time and got some great deals. Finishing the day off at Gino's is a great to end the day. Sorry I missed sometimes things come up with a 4 & 7 year old that make you miss things.
Flukinit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey, I don't have a LOCK on my wallet Couldn't go wrong on that Shimano Tranx 300 WITH the power handle thrown in for $250! That's a $280 reel without the $40-50 handle...Third year in a row I bought a reel from Jigging World where he threw in the power handle. Excellent deal there. Great booth he had. Made the trip worth it putting that reel in the arsenal.

I'd also like to mention my old buddy Dan Riemann, from The Outdoorsman was at the show (Somerset Fishing Expo) and he had an EXCELLENT booth that was astir the entire day too. Couldn't even get near it at one point. Funny how the good vendors get all the action while the guy selling dog leashes is bored out of his mind.

I tell ya Pete, I was REALLY close to grabbing that "Silver Bullet" 150 gram stick we were admiring! Kept picturing my Shimano Curado 50E (painted by Matt Kiel down in San Antonio, Texas) on it and thinking it would make a SWEET combo for jigging the nasty bottom out by you and on my home turf here in Jamaica Bay. No doubt had I not already purchased the Tranx reel, that rod would have came home with us!!

The other item I was strongly considering were the ultra lightweight white Grunden's bib pants. Been wanting a pair for a while now and at $80, I was close to getting them too. Perfect skins for those late May-early June bass/fluke trips that start out cold and end up warm. My ONLY concern with those skins is keeping them clean could be a real chore...That is certainly one of my pet peeves...Dirty fishing gear!!

Late lunch/early dinner at Gino's afterwards put the icing on the cake yesterday. WOW, DELIZIOSO! Can't beat that place for quality food at an affordable price! So glad they're in MY neighborhood!

Great times with my good fishing buddies makes even the shitty days of winter a pleasure. Let's do it again next year
Savvy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

So, now I have a new dilemma....I bought the Tranx yesterday and it looks soooo sexy on my Calstar 700 XL, which is silver and metallic blue. So, I took the power handle off my Revo Toro (which is also metallic blue) and it looks EXCELLENT!

That Revo Toro might be for sale! Keep an eye out on Lep's Flea Market board!

If I knew how to post pics, I would...Sorry fellas, I'm not quite as computer "Savvy" as I'd like to be!

Edit: here ya go Eddie -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tognut Tranx 300.jpg (73.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Leprechaun; 03-20-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Savvy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Did you end up getting a spiral-wrapped Ghost Hunter? I think in your last post you mentioned that you didn't like spiral-wrapped rods, and I was wondering (a) why you don't like spiral-wrapped rods and (b) whether you ended up biting the bullet here and getting a spiral-wrapped rod nonetheless.
jmei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, you're right, she's Spiral/Robert's/Acid wrapped (take your pick on the name - all apply). You are also right, I do not usually care for such an abomination. Looks like h*ll, to me, anyway. I know, I know, the idea is to relieve wrist and lower arm strain - which might apply when wras'lin' with big bruisers. You might even convince me to give a spiral wrapped stick a try for larger tog - maybe at 17, or something along those lines.

But fluke? FLUKE? Gimme a break - a big fluke might give a few interesting head shakes, and maybe make a minor run or two from a light-dragged reel. And that's about it. In fact I often remind my crew that fluke do their best fighting on the deck of the boat - anyone who's spent any time fluking can confirm that.

So unless there's a specific reason for such a wrap job on a fluke rod - like for instance maybe a bad wrist or something on that order, there's really no reason for a spiral-wrapped fluke rod. Not that I can see.

Anyway, I went with this, my first spiral jobbie, because there really isn't an Asian-type jigger that I have any interest in (or can actually see in the flesh, urr, carbon for that matter), within the price range that these Ghost Hunters sell for. The Trevala S rods are roughly $100 less and the Black Holes around $100 more - given the special show pricing at Somerset. Both of those rod lines are straight-up wrapped, by the way.

So, given the pricing situation and my burgeoning interest in incorporating this type of rod into my fluke fishing exploits, I guess its time that I bite the bullet and give the spiral jammies a try. I don't think it will hurt me. Much, anyway. If'n it does, I'll just hold my setup upside down. There, problem solved!

Last edited by Leprechaun; 04-09-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

See this thread for more: So am I the only "Upside Down" fluke jigger?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Even just for fluke, if you're bouncing a 4 oz bucktail all day, wouldn't you rather use a more balanced rod with less twist?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

IMO, a spiral wrapped rod doesn't actually have less "twist" as you term it - at least not until its strongly loaded by a fish. Though I'm certainly not a Doctor of Orthopedics, I do have some opinions on the subject, based upon many seasons of considering exactly what's going on while fishing - and why it nearly always hurts my wrist to spend the day fluke jigging... Please bear with me on the following exposition and see if it sounds rational to you.

A spiral rod will do nothing to aid wrist health while jigging. Its sole purpose is to alleviate strong torsional loading under heavy pressure. Jigging action will not, cannot, reach that pressure threshold - at least when discussing it in terms of fluke jigging.

Aching wrists from jigging with a conventional (bait casting reel) result from the repetitive jigging motion added to the constant side-loading stress required to hold the rod/reel upright. This is why my wrists hurt while fishing in 20' of water up off Port Jefferson with a 1 ounce buck tail just as much as they do fishing a 5oz buck tail in 80' of water off Jones Inlet. The hurt seems to me to be the same. For sure, its certainly not from fighting hard-pulling fish - as I alluded to in my prior post.

The best remedy for wrist aches while fluke jigging (which as I said, I suffer from pretty severely as well) would be to switch to a reel that hangs under the rod (Ala: spinning), or to jig with the bait casting reel under the rod, i.e.: the "Upside Down Jigging" discussion in the thread that I linked to above. Neither "remedy" will do much to address the annoyingly repetitive jigging motion issue. But certainly either would alleviate the side load twisty force caused by a "right side up" bait casting reel.

Long story short - wrists will ache whilst using a bait casting setup not because the guides are on the top or the bottom. Rather, because the reel is up top - you are constantly fighting the weight of the reel wanting to drop under the rod. The weight of a fluke lure is not a relevant factor to this issue. Not in my opinion, anyways.

Agee, or not?

Last edited by Leprechaun; 03-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

That's a good and fair point. Other than fighting fish, the other place I've noticed the spiral wrapped rod helping is when you're bottom fishing and are doing a fair amount of reeling in your line (whether with a fish on the other end or not). In that context, I think the spiral wrapped guides help. But you're right that most of the fluke jigging stress is just caused by the repetitive motion, and the spiral wraps don't help with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.