Angerman Jigs/Lavjigs - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've always wondered what the advantages are of using a angerman jig over a slovorkin jig? I have always used Slovorkin jigs but people rave over angermans, I just dont see what is so thrilling over a mat lead jig (although I know that fish are striking at motion not at flash). Before my trip to cashs on monday, I was going to buy a few angermans just to have in the jig bucket, but I want others opinions of them first,
Thanks
Codzilla52
Codzilla52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I have always seen angermans outfish other jigs. I don't know if its the action or more people using them. Now that Lavjigs have hit the market(sort of) I have used them with good success also. I think they will catch just as good as an angerman. I would always have some of each anyway.
new hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've always been partial to Crippled Herring jigs, particularly on Georges Bank, when I'm on the HH/Angler. However, farther north (e.g., the Jefferies, Cashes, Platts), I prefer the Angermans, which seem to work better there. Don't ask me why ... I've asked myself that same question.

I've used Solvkrokens in both locations (Georges and farther north) with good success.

I still can't figure out why diamond jigs were working better than other jigs off of Block Island this past winter.

It looks like LavJigs may give Angermans a run for the money. They look the same, although LavJigs are finished better and have thicker wire running through them. Also, LavJigs are about half the price of Angermans.

(This post edited by Meirowitz on 07/07/2004)
Meirowitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2004, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Thanks you guys

Thanks for the tip. I useally dress up my jigs with a blue or purple skirt, seems to have an affect. Where can I get some Lavjigs?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Look at the NE cod fishing thread a few pages back - Dennis posted there as "Lavjigs". As far as jig choice goes, it's a personal preference thing, really. A 13oz silver Crippled Herring is my personal all-around favorite, especially so when fishing Stellwagen and anything south of it. Goliath also likes that jig best. A 99 is a close second favorite, but it doesn't hold bottom as well. The Lavjigs I've used were great at holding bottom, but I just wasn't catching a lot of fish on them. I'm sure it wasn't the jigs' fault, and I will keep fishing them on deep water GOM trips.
FishWisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mike, I was late to accept the Angerman as an effective jig. I had it in my tackle bag for months and didn't go with it often. Lately, on the deep water trips farther north, I started using it with good success.

Tips: I don't know if this helps, but I polish the Angerman with scouring powder and steel wool and shine it up before I use it. Got that one from Willy, who seems to have the time to invent a lot of this stuff. Also, I use only Owner 5/0 trebles on the jig. You'd be surprised how many foul hooks you'll get - I'd say around 50 percent. And be sure to keep those Owners razor sharp! Finally, you can put a small piece of chamois cloth (or pork rind) soaked in bunker oil on the treble hook. That one comes from Codkiller.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Personally I don't get too hung up on cod jig styles. The key is to be able to hold bottom. Heck I've often seen a plain old pipe jig out fish everything else.

Meirowitz: If you getting a lot of fish by fowl hooking doesn't that indicate that while they are coming to investigate the jig, they aren't eating it? That would not be cool when there are BIG cod around. You can get a skin hooked 10-15#'er into the boat, but not a steaker or cow. Is your experience with the Angerman's foul hook rate common?

(This post edited by DaveB on 07/07/2004)
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2004, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Dave, there's a lot to be said for what you're saying. Sometimes, anglers just feel more confident with a certain kind of jig - but that confidence often translates into a more aggressive fishing style that produces fish. Who can say? I think certain jigs work better than others, but I also think a cod (being dumber than dirt) will jump on just about anything.

I've also foul-hooked some pretty big cod and gotten them to the boat. Often, a foul-hook with an Owner treble results in more than one hook stuck in the fish, and Owner trebles seem to set pretty deep. And, yes, my experience with Angerman foul hooks is common.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Meirowitz-
Yeah I saw willy doing that with the steel wool, he got that from Capt. Kenton from the bunny. I really like those owners, I saw them on willy's jigs, any where I can get them before monday? (cash's trip)
Old 07-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

The reason I favor the Crippled Herrings is that they get to the bottom faster and stay there longer than any other jig I've used. For some reason they even tend bottom better than a bank sinker of the same weight. I have also learned how to use them well thus increasing my overall catch. The downside is that they aren't all that durable and I have broken off the bottom eyelet on a bunch of them. On the 7/5/04 cashes trip I even pulled open the top eyelet after a few decent fish. That was a new one for me. Nonetheless, they are and will be the jig of choice unless something better comes along. If only some enterprising board member would create this jig with better hardware.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.