Power handle for Shimano tr200 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey Lep, I know you seem to like reels with nice beefy handles you can get a good grip on (me to), would you know it there are any handles out there that might fit a Shamino TR-200? I'd love to use a handle like whats on the Tekota and change it up but not sure what might fit? any thoughts
loonzter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ya know, that' a good question.

I asked it myself on the Allcoast Tackle board last Fall and got exactly zero responses. And those guys out there in Californication are major league tackle tinkerers. Among other things.

Anyway, I do know that the Tekota 500 and the Trini 12/14 handles fit the Calcutta TE reels without modification.

I do not know about the TRN100/200 reels as I've never gotten a chance to play around with them.

I assume you own the TRN now? If so, take the handle off and bring it to Causeway and ask them to find a Shimano, Penn, Abu or Daiwa handle that either fits right on or that has a hole SMALLER than the original TRN handle.

After that you can open up the hole to fit your reel.

If I had to pick a reel handle that I thought might do it, I would pick the smaller Shimano Speedmaster, what's it called, the "15/30"? I would also try the Tekota handle - you just might get lucky.

Or we could try it this way. - Do you have a Vernier caliper handly? If so take the handle off your reel and post up the L x W of the bridge sleeve and I'll see if my Tekota handle matches.

rgds, Leprechaun
Old 03-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

The TRN100/200 takes any handle that fits a Calcutta 100/200/400.

The Speedmaster takes the same handle that fits a Trinidad 16/20/30 or a Penn GS 525/5353/545/555 or many larger Daiwa conventionals.
skatemaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2004, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Modification question......

quote:

After that you can open up the hole to fit your reel.

Lep..

In doing so, aren't you exposing "bare" metal? I am concerned about he exposure creating a "highway for corrosion."

Thoughts?
Makoman16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2004, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Same thing..

I was wondering the same thing. I really have enjoyed my Triton 200-G for over the past 10 years and has served me well! But the handle is kinda small and when your hands get slimey or wet you have a tendency to slip.

Skatemaster, are you saying that the power handle for the Cal-400 will bolt right on the triton without Mods ? If so excellent, and where is the best place to pick up two of those handles?

Thanks......
Attached Images
File Type: bmp meanbass.bmp (1.6 KB, 0 views)
flukerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2004, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Naaah, not an issue if you coat the exposed surfaces with either a good grade MARINE grease (Like Lubrimatic's marine wheel bearing grease - the green stuff) or with a good hi-melting point synthetic like Super Lube - which I prefer.

I never get corrosion with my modded handles, yet my un-modded handles sometimes have electrolysis damage if I forget to pull the cap and handle off the reel and properly protect that aluminum/bronze interface area. I had that exact problem with my first Tekota (As I wrote up last Fall) and I understand from Paulh that the Daiwa conventional have given him the same problem.

rgds, Leprechaun
Old 03-05-2004, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Fluker, I'll ask the question again because I'm not quite sure if there is a place to purchase the power handle for the Calcutta 400, or do you have to order it from Shamino. I'd like to know also.

Skatemaster, are you saying that the power handle for the Cal-400 will bolt right on the triton without Mods ? If so excellent, and where is the best place to pick up two of those handles?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

I know that Causeway here in Wantagh has them, but they are a pretty commonly stocked item in most good tackle shops. Try that nice shop up in Rocky Point - that's kinda near Selden - isn't it?

rgds,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lep-small.jpg (3.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-06-2004, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Lep, close enough for government work (but you wouldn't want to walk it LOL) A **** of a lot closer than Causeway, I'll give it a shot at the Rockland show first (Sunday).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.