Shimano Citica power handle - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone know if the Curado's power handle will fit the Citica 200g series? I hate dealing with the small handle of the citica when I'm hooked into a bigger fish. If not, does anyone have any recommendations on a power handle or extended arm handle?
Lindanel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm very sure that the handle from the 300EJ will not fit, because its driveshaft hole is too large. The problem is that Shimano alone uses a 7x4mm driveshaft on its smaller baitcasters (like your Citica), while all the smaller Abu and Daiwa reels use a more robust 8x5mm size - same size as the Curado 300 and CTE Calcuttas.

You could use the old wooden-knobbed power handle from the last generation Calcutta 400 on your Citica - if you can find one. They are becoming kinda scarce.

Alternatively, if you are a bit handly, you could make up shims from stainless Steel stock, like pieces from a propeller cotter pin to take up the clearance in the handle hole of the larger handles. Done properly, it works like a charm. I've got a few reels set up this way.
Then any relatively inexpensive Abu power handle (or that fancy $50 300EJ handle) would fit.

Lep
Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Would this handle work fine? http://www.davesreelservice.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=49

Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes. But have you actually seen one? That big rubber torpedo knobbed handle weighs nearly as much as your reel and is just about as large. A huge mis-match. To me at least.

This post edited by Leprechaun 06:28 PM 02/10/2013
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I want to get a power handle for my curado 300dsv. Do i need to get the shimano BNT3369 or purchase the 300EJ handle? Any other options? Thanks guys!
brianNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

www.reelpowerhandles.com Dont know if they have the one you want but they have hundreds of knob and t bar after market handles.
reelfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

The EJ handle is the waaaay nicer of the two, but its quite pricey. I think I have a clean BNT3369 handle here, laying around collecting dust. If you want that one, I'll have a look at my handle stash.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Leprechaun wrote:

Alternatively, if you are a bit handly, you could make up shims from stainless Steel stock, like pieces from a propeller cotter pin to take up the clearance in the handle hole of the larger handles. Done properly, it works like a charm. I've got a few reels set up this way.
Then any relatively inexpensive Abu power handle (or that fancy $50 300EJ handle) would fit.

Lep
Lep, how do you put the handle on and remove it with the pieces of steel wedged between the handle and the drive shaft? Got any pictures?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Huh? You just take it on and off, LOL!

They're only tiny little pieces of SS cotter pin, cut to fit into the driveshaft hole, so to take up the clearance when using an oversized-hole handle.

They can only lock the handle to the driveshaft when the locknut is tightened. Not a piece of high-end engineering, that's for sure!

Sorry, but my camera can't take that close of a close-up.

Lep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.