Cod/Haddock Size Limit on Stellwagen - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

I fished a party boat from Plymouth on 5/3. We dished Stellwagen ( Report posted under the NY section ).Anyway the fishin was real slow. No announcement was made by the Capt or crew on the way out concerning the size and bag limits. I landed a 21" haddock- measured it and released it. The mate comes over and says I could have kept it as the size limit is 21" for haddock. I did not want to argue with him so I just said I thought it was 23" since we were in the Gulf of Maine? Was I right or wrong. In addition a friend of mine just invited us to go Codfishn out of Nauset Inlet on his boat. We'll be fishin the ocean side of the Cape off Truro- not Stellwagen. Is this considered the G.O.M.? I hope somebody can clear this up. Thanks
morning dew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi,

Yes, Stellwagen is in the Gulf of Maine. Perhaps the Mate was not up on the regs since last year it was 21" for a while.

Size Limit Modification
This interim final rule increases the minimum size limit for cod and
haddock to 23 inches total length for Party/Charter vessels not
fishing on a NE multispecies DAS, and for all private recreational
vessels.

Totally unfair. Right now the commercial DAS boats can keep as many haddock as they can catch and a size of 19". The markets are now flooded with haddock and the price is the lowest i have ever seen it. Some haddock are selling for less then 0.50/lb last week.

http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/market_news/doc31.txt

Capt. Marc
Capt. Marc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Capt Marc for clearing that up - and yes it is a disgrace that the Commercial guys can keep smaller haddock with no limit- no wonder why the pary boats feel it is o.k. to keep the 21" fish! I am going to hold off on another cod trip until the water warms up a bit and we can jig-seems like everyone up that way is using bait now which I really do not like.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Limits

I'll be fishing out of Green Harbor in mid May. What are the cod limits and sizes for the various fish available? How far apart are Stellwagon and Georges Banks? Are the limits different in each area? This is a first time trip for me and I want to feel comfortable when I fish. Thanks Lou
sportsman625 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

What boat were you on. I also fish out of plymouth. Fishing has been unusually slow on the shoal water on top of the bank this year. We have done better in the deeper water to the east.

How deep were you fishing?
Eelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2003, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

625- Stellwagen and Georges are far apart. Georges is about 100 miles east(maybe more) of the Cape and Stellwagen is about 30-40 miles from Plymouth and only a few miles North of Ptown. The limit for Cod is 23" at both BUT since Georges is not in the Gulf of Maine there is no possesion limit- you can keep as many cod over 23" you can catch. On Stellwagen you can only keep 10 23" haddock and cod combined.You may also catch pollock,wolfish and cusk- check the regs section for any size limits on them. Good choice going in mid may- hoepfully the water will be warmer and more baitfish will be around.

EElin- I was opn the Capt John and Sons Boat- I posted the report in the nY section on 5/3. Nothing on jigs - all on bait and the few cod that were caught mostly came from the deep water to the East from 200 to 260'. Check out my report for more details. Let us know how you do . I want to make another trip towards end of May/Beggining of June should be a later season with the water temp still cold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.