How essential are anchor trolleys or drift chutes? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How essential are anchor trolleys or drift chutes?

Hey guys,

Considering this is my first post, let me introduce myself. My name is Jon, and i currently live in brooklyn but will be doing most of my fishing from my kayak in the western sound along the Westchester side. I am new to kayak fishing with this summer being my first full season.

My main question, is whether an anchor trolley is necessary for the type of fishing I will be doing. I plan on doing some fluking, going for stripers, but the majority will be for porgy and blackfish (when is season).

I have a 2014 hobie outback, and she's my baby. I bought her used last october in near immaculate condition. The thought of drilling unnecessary holes in her is a scary thought, but if it is recommenced and will help wth my catch rate then i have no problem doing so.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
jroblespe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Jon

Welcome to the wonderful world of kayak fishing.

There are many kayak anglers that are completely against using anchors. I don't know why. In my opinion they are essential, especially for bottom fishing. If you plan on doing a lot of porgy and tog fishing, as I do, then an anchor trolley will make your life a lot easier and safer. Also, for tog fishing consider going with a small vinyl-coated mushroom anchor instead of the traditional folding claw-type kayak anchor. It will be much more resistant to getting stuck in bottom structure.

As for a drift chute, I would consider it a helpful but non-essential accessory. If you're doing a lot of fluking a chute can help to keep your drift speed down on windy days. If you do go for a drift chute, again, the easiest and safest way to deploy one is with an anchor trolley.

There quite a few instructional videos on youtube showing how to install one. I admit, drilling holes in your "baby" is a scary thought.

I'd say go for it.

-Paul

Last edited by damfisher; 04-01-2017 at 03:15 AM. Reason: .
damfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Paul, much appreciated. You definitely took the fear out of installing a trolley system. Thanks again!
jroblespe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I hear you about drilling holes, I was petrified to drill the first hole in my boat. But it had to be done.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

some really good youtube and paddling.net videos on employing an anchor trolley...
pequa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
anchor trolley, kayak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.