Blackfishing with a paddle? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blackfishing with a paddle?

I am new to kayaking but not fishing. I have fished the western sound from my boat for approximately 15 years but recently purchased a used kayak. I have zero experience on a kayak and Blackfishing is my favorite . Can I accomplish this type of fishing without a pedal kayak. I bought a used Ocean Prowler 15. Any and all advice would be welcomed.

Thank you

Last edited by pufftentacle; 03-02-2017 at 12:03 PM.
pufftentacle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Happy to say that in Blackfishing there is no significant advantage to having a peddle kayak, as you just need to get to your spot and drop anchor. Check out my article on kayak togging in the Oct '16 issue of The Fisherman mag. It's available from their online archives. That should help get you started. Kayaking for tog is my favorite type of fishing. I'm sure you'll love it too
damfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can't see why not. Being on the North Shore as well, we begin our blackfishing in the fall shallow in water 10-18' within 300 yards of shore. Find the rocks and you'll find the blackfish.
Launching point will determine if you'd be better off with pedals then a paddle but no doubt it can be done. Check post from Damfisher here on NE, he bails them from a Kayak all fall.

EDIT: Damfisher, two minutes apart, like minds think alike
hauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Code:

Quote:
Originally Posted by damfisher View Post
Happy to say that in Blackfishing there is no significant advantage to having a peddle kayak, as you just need to get to your spot and drop anchor. Check out my article on kayak togging in the Oct '16 issue of The Fisherman mag. It's available from their online archives. That should help get you started. Kayaking for tog is my favorite type of fishing. I'm sure you'll love it too

I will definitely check out your article thank you. So, like regular Blackfishing you anchor up ,I was unsure about that. Are there times at let's say slack or when the tide is not ripping, that you will not anchor.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sure many will disagree with me on this, but for most situations trying to catch blackfish from a yak without anchoring will put you at a great disadvantage. If there's any kind of wind or current you'll be spending half of your time trying to hold position over your structure. Sooooooo annoying! Once you locate a concentration of fish you want to stay on top of them. Even with a gps, if you catch a decent tog, by the time you fight and land it you will have drifted far off of the piece and may not be able to get precisely back on it again.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

........almost forgot your second question. You'd best avoid strong current areas, but if you do fish them go at slack tide. In weak current areas the fish are harder to predict. Best advice is to go when you can and keep a log to identify the ideal conditions for the specific spots you like to fish. One more tip- an approaching cold front is a good thing. I'll have an article on blackfish behavior coming out later this year in The Fisherman which will explain more about this, and in better detail. Right now, get on google earth and start looking for areas to check out. Finding togs is a 365/day/year project!
Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damfisher View Post
........almost forgot your second question. You'd best avoid strong current areas, but if you do fish them go at slack tide. In weak current areas the fish are harder to predict. Best advice is to go when you can and keep a log to identify the ideal conditions for the specific spots you like to fish. One more tip- an approaching cold front is a good thing. I'll have an article on blackfish behavior coming out later this year in The Fisherman which will explain more about this, and in better detail. Right now, get on google earth and start looking for areas to check out. Finding togs is a 365/day/year project!

Good stuff , thank you. I didn't even think about google earth.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I would suggest contacting Elias V, about doing a trip with him.

https://www.facebook.com/EliasVFishing/

Check out his Facebook/YouTube pages for what kind of trips he offers.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I looked at his videos, he looks real knowledgeable.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Check out John Skinner's video on the subject!
bucktail is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.