N,M,F,S realy did it this time ---sharkers bewarned ! - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

here we go again!
the nmfs has just passed an emergency rule for commercial fishermen to harvest 1,714 metric tons of large coastal sharks{the 1997 qouta was 1,285 metric tons}
concidering that these spieces have been on a sharp decline how can nmfs say that ther are that many harvestable sharks
maybey all the commercial lawsuits? just to prove that nmfs wants to completely eliminate the shark populations they have lifted the 4 1/2 foot rule so any sharks no matter the size will be killed and brought to market.
us recs. still have the 4 1/2 foot limit!and the one per boat per day limit,with many spiecies off limits!
and now, all recs. will have to buy the $27.00 permit to fish for sharks!
this used to be only the bluefin permit

and are you ready for the reel kick in the nuts?
nmfs made it so that private boaters who chose a general catagory tuna permit to sell there tuna will not be permitted to fish for sharks and billfish,at all!. effectively illimating them from tournaments!
this is a done deal!
there is a comment period untill 5;00 pm tomorow ,fri. feb 14th
comments go to

chris rogers
chief,highly migratoryspieces management devision
1315 east-westhighway
silver spring,MD.20910
or fax# 301 713-1917

fiiday by 5:00!!!!!!

p.s tried to post this sooner but was having trouble
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default What a Joke

Freak,
Thanks for passing that along. The big boys get an increase, and the little guys get hammered. What else is new.

Capt. H
Capthookem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2003, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default thats not all

nmfs has also provided 326 metric tons to small coastal sharks
and..... they have provided 273 tons for blue sharks
and..... 92 tons for porbeagles
which alows 488 metric tons to "higher-value pelagics{mako's and threshers}

goodbye catch and release---- hello long lining

what the %#^&%^ are they thinking?

(This post edited by thefishingfreak on 02/13/2003)
Old 02-14-2003, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Where did you find the info? I was just poking around at nmfs and it's there allright, but I couldn't wade through all the legal BS to figure out exactly what the new regs are.

So.. from what you've said, let me get this straight. You can get a commercial permit, or you can get a recreational permit. If you get the rec. permit, you're all set for tuna/shark/billfish fishing, but can't sell. If you get the comm. permit, you can only officially tuna fish and can't retain sharks or billfish? There must be ways to get a comm. shark permit, with the shark quotas to fill, would it be possible to hold a comm. shark & tuna permit?.. It might be one of those deals when you need two permits.

Jon
leakyrivot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Leaky,
A general category permit only allows you to sell tuna, you need another license to sell sharks. That license is impossible to get, unless you aready have one. Its under a moritorium for new licenses. For all the good it will do, my comments got faxed to NMFS this afternoon.
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2003, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

that was my interperpertition of an article in the fisherman that came out this week i tryied to post the article but nor'east would not allow it with out written permition
its imposible to get a comm. shark permit like mako mike said tou have to by a rec. permit now $27.00
if there are any sharks left to catch after there qoutas are full.
and you have to buy a tuna permit if you want to catch tuna
if you get the general catagory tuna permit you cant even fish for sharks!or billfish!
the commercial guys who already have the permits are now intitled to kill any size shark they catch and they will do it too
Old 02-14-2003, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok.. so, I think I've got it now. There is still a non-comm. permit, it is good for sharks & tuna that are not for sale. Anyone that wants to sell tuna (everyone that seriosly fishes GBFT) won't be able to legally take sharks, even for non-comm. purposes. This takes them out of the tournaments, and is completely ridiculous, obviously thought up by a panel of carefully selected & commercially biased idiots etc.. etc.. Am I reading you all right now?

Jon
leakyrivot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2003, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

yes commercialy biased idiots!
the commercial guys wipe ouy one fish stock then move on to the next and then the next
mako mike ? what to you think i should get this year for a tuna permit?
Old 02-15-2003, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Leaky,
Yep you got it right. But I think its less a commercially inspired idea than a simple bureaucratic screw up. After all the General Category guys are commercials.
Freak,
Your gonna have to make up you mind for yourself on that one. I asked that either General Category be allowed to keep a shark for personal consumption or that they be allowed to also purchase the angling category permit for sharks. We'll see what happens.
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Wait,

so do I need a permit to go sharking? Where do I get it?

somoan
somoan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.