Bluefin Tuna- Nova Scotia / Prince Edward Island - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bluefin Tuna- Nova Scotia / Prince Edward Island

I will be traveling to Nova Scotia / PEI in September for Bluefin tuna.

What I know:
Regulations- catch and release fishery, maximum hookups 4, maximum landed fish 2, maximum fight time 1.5 hours (anyone accomplish this- seems like a short time to fight).
Best time of year- Late August through October.
Charters- from $1500 to $2500 (Canadian)

I have a few boats lined up but would love to hear if anyone has fished here before, who they fished with and how your experience was.

I know very little about tuna fishing and tips would be appreciated.
Imjus4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Talk to Kilsong he does it regularly.
MakoMike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

sami at saltywater has some experience and video up on youtube.
albenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
ag3

I've been there 3 years in a row and will be going again this September. We always fish with Tony's Tuna fleet and specifically the boat named "Boo Boo" with Capt. Terrry. Phenomenal captain.

Always had great fishing with them and this fleet has 7 boats and work like a team. IMO, they have the largest network and access to the most Herring nets (key to fishing this area) and are well respected.

I highly recommend them.

Last year in 3 trips we had 10 hookups with 5 fish landed, including a 857 pounder which was commercially harvested. I released one over 900 pounds as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4075.jpg (112.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by ag3; 03-09-2016 at 10:34 AM.
ag3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
ag3

More...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4007.jpg (137.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4005.jpg (142.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Cant wait!

Those results are encouraging!

I actually reached out to Tony's but ended up booking with the boat "rough rider" of nova scotia tuna charters out of Antigonish (flying into Halifax was cheaper). I also liked his boat as it had a tower (not sure how much that comes into play up there though).

Will see how it goes this time, but makes sense to book with someone with multiple boats for so many reasons and if cost wasn't a factor I would have went with Tony's for the size of the fleet (figure better communication of where fish are, boat problems etc).
As far as the nets, I am assuming this is for fresh bait? Did you ever fish up close to the bait /herring boats out there?
AS far as fight time, did you have any issues landing fish in the 1.5 hour limit? I am heading up there with my father (just the two of us) and would be terrible to have to cut the line after the time limit is up.

Appreciate the information and glad to get a discussion on this topic on noreast for others in the future.

Awesome that one of your fish was harvested with the commercial tag, I would love to see the fish on the scales and get a picture with it.

Last edited by Imjus4u2nv; 03-09-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
ag3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjus4u2nv View Post
Those results are encouraging!

I actually reached out to Tony's but ended up booking with the boat "rough rider" of nova scotia tuna charters out of Antigonish (flying into Halifax was cheaper). I also liked his boat as it had a tower (not sure how much that comes into play up there though).

Will see how it goes this time, but makes sense to book with someone with multiple boats for so many reasons and if cost wasn't a factor I would have went with Tony's for the size of the fleet (figure better communication of where fish are, boat problems etc).
As far as the nets, I am assuming this is for fresh bait? Did you ever fish up close to the bait /herring boats out there?
AS far as fight time, did you have any issues landing fish in the 1.5 hour limit? I am heading up there with my father (just the two of us) and would be terrible to have to cut the line after the time limit is up.

Appreciate the information and glad to get a discussion on this topic on noreast for others in the future.

Awesome that one of your fish was harvested with the commercial tag, I would love to see the fish on the scales and get a picture with it.
The nets are a chum slick. They set up multiple herring nets and they go from net to net checking their screens for tuna marks. Once they see activity, they tie the boat to the net and the tuna come to the surface to feed. A huge herring chum slick.
If the Herring are in, the tuna bite is almost like a Montauk bass blitz. Wild.

P.S. Tony's Tuna is only 1,250 Canadian. Which right now is under $1,000 US dollars. As far as I know, the fishing in September is prime in North Lake, PEI, which is where most of the boats set up.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
ag3

As far as flying, we fly into either Montreal or Toronto and then transfer to PEI, depending on which one is cheaper.
The flight usually costs about $400. Not bad at all. Then we rent a car in PEI and drive to the North Lake area, where we rent a cottage or a house for a reasonable price as well.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

The key to fishing there is to time out the herring arrival. It can occur from late August to late September, depending on the weather. 2014-2015 was a very cold winter and summer and the herring didnt show up until late September. I timed it out that way (since I follow long range weather). This year I am thinking 1st week of September since it's an El Nino year and El Nino years are almost always warm in winter, spring and summer.
So far, so good. 2nd warmest winter on record in the northeast and it looks like a very warm spring on the way.

Last edited by ag3; 03-09-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
ag3

Slowest year was 2 years ago. We only did 2 trips and it was a grind but we still hooked up 4 times in 2 trips and landed 2 fish.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Fight time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
As far as flying, we fly into either Montreal or Toronto and then transfer to PEI, depending on which one is cheaper.
The flight usually costs about $400. Not bad at all. Then we rent a car in PEI and drive to the North Lake area, where we rent a cottage or a house for a reasonable price as well.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

The key to fishing there is to time out the herring arrival. It can occur from late August to late September, depending on the weather. 2014-2015 was a very cold winter and summer and the herring didnt show up until late September. I timed it out that way (since I follow long range weather). This year I am thinking 1st week of September since it's an El Nino year and El Nino years are almost always warm in winter, spring and summer.
So far, so good. 2nd warmest winter on record in the northeast and it looks like a very warm spring on the way.
I am already booked for middle of September so hopefully the bait sticks around. I paid about 400 for a direct flight from jfk to Halifax - I figure they are fishing the same area and was able to save a few bucks on accommodations.
One more question- did you have any issue getting the fish to the boat in the allotted time? Seems like a short time frame, but from what I heard they fish somewhat shallow so they are able to chase them down a little more. Gonna be a long few months waiting for this trip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.